Builds Here we go (FJ-40 getting a 3B/Turbo/H55f)... (5 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

BreckenridgeCruiser said:
Dan,

On the gauges, do some of them ground through the mounting? I know that EGT gauges work based on microvoltage so maybe pushing 12v through the housing for a ground may be causing the interference...

Just an idea.

K

Nope. All grounded externally. Interestingly enough, turning on the lights causes them to cut off, so I suspect that they might act right if the alternator were working. (it worked before being "rebuilt", so I was planning on driving it to the alternator shop to let them deal with it).

Fuel pump didn't make much change, but I didn't get long to test it--it started raining HARD..,

In the meantime.... Other odds and ends getting done...

Dan
image-2372317653.jpg

Enough with the crappy pics, here's some good ones...

Dad has been putting the doors and things back together while I've been playing with the motor. Also note the soft top bows installed (thanks for letting me borrow the Nutsert tool pappy!)
door 1.jpg
door 3.jpg

And one of Shane's placards inside the fuel door. (no idea if it's the correct spot for it, but we like it).
door 2.jpg

So, I'm thinking I might have an intake leak between the turbo and the throttle body. That would explain why it seems to boost normally up to a certain pressure, but no more. The other symptom is that when you blip the throttle, there isn't any black smoke, nor does the engine jump (even in neutral). This engine, this turbo definitely did that before I took it apart. I'm going to bump the timing just a touch still, but also take a good look for intake leaks for just that reason...

Dan
door 1.jpg
door 2.jpg
door 3.jpg

is the intake hose from the air box to the turbo colaspsing? i had that happen once, hard to see but under heavy boost the hose just flattened and the power was gone, as soon as you let off on the throttle it would work fine again.

is the intake hose from the air box to the turbo colaspsing? i had that happen once, hard to see but under heavy boost the hose just flattened and the power was gone, as soon as you let off on the throttle it would work fine again.

Not sure how I'll test that one, but I doubt it. It's 3" steel tube with a few high strength rubber connectors (they are stiff, to say the least).

Dan

Ok, couple of tests:
  1. Disconnected the turbo entirely, leaving it normally aspirated--not much change
  2. ran it without any air filter/intake system at all (it had just rained, no dust, so I chanced it)--no change
  3. Advanced the timing back to where it was when I took the IP off the engine--slight improvement.
  4. Set up the pyrometer (and disconnected the boost gauge)--obviously no change in performance, but see video below.

This is a slight hill, followed by a slight downgrade. Never got to more than 45mph, or more than 800 degrees on the EGT.

For a frame of reference, my 2LT-E powered truck (which has a post turbo pyro, this one is in the manifold) will get to about 900 degrees on that upgrade in 4th gear. You can clearly hear how much it bogs down every time you upshift, which leads me to believe it's a fuel setting issue.

I sure don't remember changing it, but I wonder if I did when I cleaned up the IP and replaced the diaphragm somehow. The safety wire was cut off long ago, so no good way to know.

I think I'm going to turn the fuel screw a touch, and see how it acts. It's on the charger at the moment (stupid alternator!) and I'll report back in a bit...

Dan

Great job try a bit more??

Absolutely. I've bumped it up 1/4 turn at a time once or twice now, and still not even close to 900 degrees (although just around the neighborhood, but we've got a couple steep hills), and still not a puff of smoke.

Interestingly, it also starts much easier. It was kind of hard when cold, and generally not too bad warm, but now it's beyond easy to start.

Of course, now the question is when did the fuel get turned down in the past, but no matter. It's getting happy now. 2nd and 3rd gear are now useable.

Dan

it was just a suggestion.
fuel setting, yep that sounds like it.
congrats, now go and enjoy it for a while.
Not sure how I'll test that one, but I doubt it. It's 3" steel tube with a few high strength rubber connectors (they are stiff, to say the least).

Dan

Man, this thing is fun to drive. :steer:

Still not to 900 degrees on the EGT, but it's more than driveable now. Easily keeps up with traffic, and still not a puff of black smoke.

Got the other door on, and the mirrors, just to make Johnny Law happy.
40 3.jpg

40 2.jpg

40 1.jpg

It looks good, don't you think? ;)
40 1.jpg
40 2.jpg
40 3.jpg

Last pic, it's just an overview of the engine compartment. It is almost to the point where I am comfortable tying up the last bits of cleanup under there...

Mostly, I need to finish clamping the brake lines to the firewall, and the starter cable needs to go into split loom and get fastened securely instead of just attached with wire ties and stuff.
engine.jpg

Not sure how much more I'll get done this week, because I do need to get back home to Colorado to play with the :princess: and then go back to work. :crybaby: But, Dad will be around all week, so he will probably take care of a few odds and ends (like getting an exhaust put on, and getting the blasted alternator to work), probably.

Dan
engine.jpg

Dan, looks amazing! My favorite build thread and a main source for my own build. Thanks for sharing!

He's got a 45 to work on next... when he's not helping me with my 44!

:)

Great job Dan! You'll have all the ins and outs of all these diesel engines nailed once you finish your 45!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom