here we go again... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Ok. I know this topic has been run in the ground, but doing a search on the topic didnt give me much to go on. Heres where I am, stock LTXs are finally running the course and its time to upgrade. Not sure how much the avg. person offroads here but for me it will be limited to weekends, maybe once a month with the local group, camping, etc. Rest of the time its on pavement, so a good riding tire is probably more desired than a rock crawler.
I have narrowed down to 285s/33s - BFGs ATKOs, Yoko Geolanders or Goodyear MTRs. I had BFGs on my j**p and was pretty happy but felt a little harsh on the road for 265s! Sounds like GYs dont last long and not familiar with Yokos.
I will be riding w/o the lift for a couple of months so they need to pass stock setup for rubbing,etc. Would like to keep at $150/ea.

Chris
94 LC
Arizona

BFG AT/KO's. Get the 285/75r16's. :flipoff2:

will fit with stock suspension, but will be better with the OME.

Holy s***e man,
was that Junk backing something other than swampers? jk man. he is on the money though I you only plan on doing an occasional outing and primarily use it for street driving I would go for the bfg atko. I alos thought about the geolanders but decvided not worth the risk. you know what you get with bfg. as to the mtrs. as long as you dont mind getting less than 30k out of them go for it. and to add to the ramble the bfgatko will suck in the mud but all other conditions will work fine.
Dave

I have the 295/75 AT/KO's for street use. Got them in case I needed to go offroad without the swampers. The KO's are the ticket. Great on street and good in anything other than bad mud. Will last forever. Buy em. ;) :flipoff2:

Yup, junk is right on the money. Thats exactly what I would go with too.

-Bryan :banana:

Chris,

>> BFG AT/KO's. Get the 285/75r16's. <<

I agree with Junk but you'll be hard pressed to get them under $150. Probably more like $200 each drive-out price with road hazard, mounting, taxes, etc.

-B-

Ditto

I have the 285 bfg at's on my 100. They are great tires, the only thing I will change when I get new ones is the size, maybe 295's or 305's.

They suck in carolina red clay.

uzj100

I have never heard mention of Toyo Open Country in this forum.I have owned both BFG/AT and the TOYO Open Country and I would go with the Toyo again.If I remember correctly the BFG does not have guaranteed mileage whereas the toyo does and the Toyo is noticeably quieter onroad.I live in a dry climate with little mud,mostly loose rock and steep hills(hells canyon) if it gets too steep I just lock'em up and go just about anywhere.In the winter we get little snow but very icy at times and the Toyo's will outperform the BFG'S IMOP.I paid 145.00 apiece at LesSchwab,thats with a full roadhazard warranty included.Oh and this is for 265/75/16.These were purchased prior to my knowledge of this forum and it's infinite wisdom.Anyhow the guy told me anything bigger would rub offroad F@#$ER.Actual dimensions are 31x 9.Hope this helps.Good Luck,Vince

Had both the BFGs and the Yokos. Would take the yokos hands down. Especially if you see packed snow and ice. But you live in arizona. They are both lousy in mud, but I feel the yokos are stickier on pavement and snow and ice. They also cost less than the BFGs. I only had them on the 80 for 12000mi before I changed to 35s. The tread wear was minimal after 12000mi. Good experience and quiet as well.
My 2cents,
Sean

AZCruiser,

I think you'd be very happy with the BFGs here in AZ. BMT and I always run the BFG MTs; but I've owned a set of 33" AT/KOs and was very pleased in anything but deep mud and snow. Give BMT a PM, he might know where in Phx. you can pick up the tires at a little cheaper rate.

-H-

Everyone, thanks for the input.

hltopper,

I will PM BMT for local options, tirerack.com had a good price for both brands, but factor in shipping maybe the discounts tires,etc. will be close enough.

Thanks
Chris
94LC

Chris,
A little late on the conversation but I am running the 285/75R - 16's BFG MT's. I purchased them at the Discount Tire on University just west of Lindsay. I think I paid about $620.00 mounted and balanced for a set of four and they threw in a matching used spare. I believe the gentlemans name was George. I ran this tire before I got my lift and had no problems.

Brendan

This is a remarkably small world-- I live within a mile or two of the discount tire on University and Lindsay that BMT mentioned. They have always treated my right.

One cheap tire option is the discount tire house brand-- the tire is called a pathfinder AT/R I think. They are cheaper than the BFGs, and I think they last longer on the road as well. They may even have a 50k mile warranty.

I have had a set on my fj55 for a long time and they have treated my well-- although they are limited in mud and snow.

Basically, I don't they are as good an off-road tire as the BFG, but I think they are a good all-around tire.

When the stock tires on my wife's 80 wear out I will probably replace them with 285 pathfinders (If I can sneak the larger size on without her noticing)

Jared

Think 305/70/16 ;)

:beer:

Jared,
I live down near University and Mesa Dr. That Discount is my favorite store, just ask my wife. :D I can't sneak anything on my cruiser without her noticing. Good luck with the tires!

Ok. What about the BFG 295s which are 11.7" wide any problems with rubbing vs . the 285s 11.2" wide.
Any thoughts.

A 305/70/16 tire mounted on a stock off-set 16 x 8 wheel will not rub with stock suspension.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom