Helton Hot Shower Unit - Important Information (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

If you are going to spend a few $$$ on plastic I would definitely spend that same few $$$ on stainless steel. With stainless I could keep the water in there as long as I wanted and I would never have to worry about the plastic taste. The reason I decided NOT to go with the Flexi-tank for my eventual drawer build was because the containers are NOT intended for long term storage. You must drain and dry after its usage.

Very excellent point. However, practicality speaking, is it really a big issue draining your tank at the end of your trip? Do you have a strong need to pay more $$$, incur a weight penalty just so you can drive around with a half tank full of water?

Playing devil's advocate...:D

Very excellent point. However, practicality speaking, is it really a big issue draining your tank at the end of your trip? Do you have a strong need to pay more $$$, incur a weight penalty just so you can drive around with a half tank full of water?

Playing devil's advocate...:D

I've been quoted between $300 and $400 to have a custom SS tank made so its really not THAT much more. I am looking for a permanent install. I have of course spec'd out a drain plug but I wouldn't be draining it very often and would prefer always having water. This has been a recent revelation for me. Now that my son is almost 12 we have been doing more and more traveling and as I have resources to carry water and have an on board shower and such, the :princess: may actually start coming on our trips.

hate to bring up an old thread, but what is your take on one of these set-up's with the pump, but instead of carrying water, drop a "suction" end into a water source (IE: creek, stream, lake...)? Assume you would use biodegradable soap of course, plus if it's not used for drinking, just for cleaning, showering, ect?

I do like the idea of stainless steel.. Since I took out the seat behind the driver, I now have a nice place for a tank. But I also have so much more to do this is very low on the list..

hate to bring up an old thread, but what is your take on one of these set-up's with the pump, but instead of carrying water, drop a "suction" end into a water source (IE: creek, stream, lake...)? Assume you would use biodegradable soap of course, plus if it's not used for drinking, just for cleaning, showering, ect?
I have one of these setup with a pump (see signature)

This will work fine. Just make sure you are far enough away from the creek, stream, lake so your shower water does not directly runoff into the water source. I've been told that biodegradable soaps are designed to biodegrade into the soil, but cause problems when they directly drain into a wild water source.

"Biodegradable soaps degrade over time, but they require contact with soil to do so. If a biodegradable soap isn't used at least 200 feet (60.96 m) from water sources, it can pollute them and make them unsuitable for other uses."

"Biodegradable soap is NOT biodegradable when it ends up in a river or lake because it requires soil for it to breakdown properly."

I only mention this because I didn't know this myself until very recently.

I do like the idea of stainless steel.. Since I took out the seat behind the driver, I now have a nice place for a tank. But I also have so much more to do this is very low on the list..
In a French Land Cruiser magazine, a company advertises a tank that form fits the floor area between the front seats and 2nd row. It's level with the floor behind it so you get a big flat space behind the front seats (when the 2nd row is removed). It even includes a pump. I know this doesn't help, since it would be lots of $$$ to have one shipped.

Last edited:
In a French Land Cruiser magazine, a company advertises a tank that form fits the floor area between the front seats and 2nd row. It's level with the floor behind it so you get a big flat space behind the front seats (when the 2nd row is removed). It even includes a pump. I know this doesn't help, since it would be lots of $$$ to have one shipped.

Holy smokes... That thing would hold some water.. I m thinking maybe a small one maybe 5-7 gallons would be plenty.. Cause some place like Pismo there is not much fresh water.. If I wanted plastic they are cheap.. Found several on eBay for almost nothing today.. Like max of 40 bucks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom