Help (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Just bought a 76 fj 40 (Always wanted one)
F2 Motor
Vehicle Had been sitting for about a year. The guy I bought it from said it was motor was missing when he parked it. Put in new points - plugs - etc. and got the motor running good.
It runs fine until I get up to about 40mph and it starts cutting out.(terrible) Someone has installed an electric fuel pump 2.5-4 pressure. Iwant to think it's starving for fuel but I can put it in low range and it will run out fine under a load etc. Is there any thing that is triggered of the speed of the vehicle? I read that fuel pump pressure should be 3.4 - 4.8. Just wanted to see if someone had any advice.

Thanks
Tony

Welcome new FJ40 owner with a [glow=red,2,300]2F[/glow] Engine.

What does it do in Nuetral when you rev the engine? Did you check the gap on the spark plugs?

It seems you are in the right area. It sounds like it is either distributor (plugs, points, timing) or carb related. If you are handy, you will have to just check down the list using a Haynes Manual. If you are not or unsure, you may want to spend the $75 to have a mechanic tune it up and check the carb settings. If you go this route I would recommend you pay him/her extra to go through the vehicle with a fine tooth comb. It would be much better starting out for you to have a list of things to fix and do research on how to fix them.

This would be money well spent unless you have a lot of experience in the autor repair world.

I hope that helps.

Nothing is speed sensitive in the carb and timing. I run my pump at around 3 lbs with a 38 weber and other goodies, so I don't think thats your problem. You might be dumping too much fuel.....but not likely. Also, recheck your dist, as it may be stuck advanced if it's a centrifugal advance dist. Also check your timing, thats all I can think of, besides a filthy carb.

[quote author=Archengine link=board=1;threadid=10288;start=msg91914#msg91914 date=1074485803]
Nothing is speed sensitive in the carb and timing. I run my pump at around 3 lbs with a 38 weber and other goodies, so I don't think thats your problem. You might be dumping too much fuel.....but not likely. Also, recheck your dist, as it may be stuck advanced if it's a centrifugal advance dist. Also check your timing, thats all I can think of, besides a filthy carb.
[/quote]
Nothing is speed sensitive but rev sensitive, yes.
When you suspect engine problem, talk about rpm instead of mph since it's independant of shift selection and tire size.
Since your rig was parked for long, I would suspect first stucked centrifugal/vacuum advance/retard distributor. Centrifugal components react upto (approx.) 2,000 rpm depending of smog specifications. Vacuum components are acting continuously depending of smog specs and vacuum "sensors".
By personal experience, my Fiji had non-stuck centrifugal components and work very well upto 2,000 but miss power over that. The distributor vacuum diaphragm was leaking and totaly inoperational.
Here is the story

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom