Help (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys,
I've been wanting to get a Land cruiser for a while now as a project. I came upon this one. The owner wants $1000 for it. Needs to get the carburator rebuilt. This is the only pic i managed to get. I will get more later. Good Idea or Bad Idea?

pro's and cons.

Any information will be greatly appreciated.

ps: is there a reason for 3 bars in the back?

00405496613.jpg

Well it depends on what kind of project you are looking for. I would say either way make sure its wiring is in good condition. If you are looking to keep the original stuff look at the frame number on the front passenger side part before the bumper. Should say FJ _(&(* whatever. See if the number matches the body number. See what kind of transfercase and tranny are on it. make sure there areno cracks in the engine block or anything. Your also gonna want to swap those brakes to disks eventually. Always look under the body to see any flaking off undercoating and rust holes. looks good. If it has no major bondo covering anything up . That might be a great cruiser for a project. GOOD LUCK

Hope you'll probably get more professionsal answers than i can give.

Rachel,
Building mine to mostly be and look stock :D
Red ( original color seea foam green) June 1970 FJ40V 2f all matching numbers AKA : Lilly Anne :bounce: :bounce2:

Blue/Yellow FJ40

:confused:
I am guessing that it is:
v8 engine
roll bar cost $1000
suspension mods
lives in the south
major rust

Need to know more; what year FJ? Still stock drive train? Pull all that stuff out and get some more pics.
dfm

Sorry guys it was 4am when i found it haha. I'll call the owner today and get more info. From what i know its a 1972

it is in FL.

(how can u tell rust?) and how much rust is TOO much rust?

Give the owner another 20 bucks to keep the roll bar. If the bodys decent, and the engine runs VERY GOOD. Judging from the extra gauges its a V8 conversion, it might be worth it. Make sure everything else works too. For a grand when you pull the headlight switch, the lights better come on.

odesoto said:
Sorry guys it was 4am when i found it haha. I'll call the owner today and get more info. From what i know its a 1972

it is in FL.

(how can u tell rust?) and how much rust is TOO much rust?

If you REALLY want a project - one that you might not be driving until next year (or the year after that) I'd say go for it. That one has a tach, guages, Rockcrawler wheels, a frame, and it looks like all of the body panels. I can't see much more.

You're going to have to be ready to spend money - a LOT of money on things it's tough to plan for. Believe me, that cruiser needs more than a carb rebuild.

If you have friends and can get along with people this could be a blast to build. You need people because you're going to need help. Just having people into cruisers who are willing to share their time and let you have parts that they've got stashed can save you thousands of dollars.

I'm not talking about any kind of restore to like new. I'm just talking about getting that cruiser into something that you'll be proud to profile around in and that will run reliably.

If you can, buy one you like that someone else has poured out their blood, sweat, tears, and BUCKS over. Drive it this summer.

Odesoto, just an observation, Looking at the picture of your home and cruiser you posted when you first came on this forum, I think it would most likely upset your neighbours if you parked that on your front lawn for any length of time. Just kidding but I think you had better hide it down the back yard until its respectable.cheers mate,big job there.

looks like a project, that's for sure....i'd scrap the rollbar that's for sure...or cut it to pieces and make a full cage out of it. regardless if you think you can handle the work load go for it....first things first....rollbar and paint...even if its just a quicky little flat black in a can job. it doesnt look too rusty assuming there isn't bondo beneath all that....might wanna find out if it runs or not. good luck.

sweet roll bar pay me 20 bucks and ill take it off your hands

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom