1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HELP!!!

Discussion in '60-Series Wagons' started by BigSur, Mar 23, 2004.

1. BigSur

BigSur

Just went out to the truck to go and get something for lunch and when i started her up the first 30 seconds were fine but BAM...i hear this horrible screeching sound and smoke started come from under the hood. I immediatly shut the engine off.
    I take a look under the hoon and it looks like the AC idle pulley seized up and the belt started rubbing and smoking. Well i am here stuck at work with the truck. Can i cut the belt off and be ok? Its not hot enough to run the AC yet (thank goodness) and i want to see if it is ok to cut that belt off so i can atleast get home. I will be ordering a new AC pulley and belt for sure.

If i can cut the belt off...how long can i go without a belt? Will anything be damaged in the mean time?

2. Landpimp

Landpimp

you can cut the belt, if runs nothing besides the AC, so you can run it forever like this.

I would pull the idler off, pop the bearing out and take it to a bearing house and get a replacment, prolly $10, new idler is prolly $60 from Toyota. I have done this on my fj80.........so I won't sware it works the same

JohnH

3. VTCruiser

VTCruiser

if you're water pump and/or oil pump is driven by the same belt, driving the rig without the belt may not be the best idea...... :eek:

but i am not 100% sure how the pulley systems on a 2F are set up, good luck!

4. BigSur

BigSur

[quote author=Landpimp link=board=1;threadid=13587;start=msg125766#msg125766 date=1080064916]
    you can cut the belt, if runs nothing besides the AC, so you can run it forever like this.

I would pull the idler off, pop the bearing out and take it to a bearing house and get a replacment, prolly $10, new idler is prolly $60 from Toyota. I have done this on my fj80.........so I won't sware it works the same

JohnH
    [/quote]

Hey LP, i cut the belt and turned the truck on...she no smoke this time but then BAM!!! Turns out my smog pump is siezed as well. I had a buddy look under the hood while it was squeling and he said my smog is dead. Can i cut that belt and still be safe until i get a new smog pump? Hell do i even need that dang thing?

5. Landpimp

Landpimp

pretty sure the smog pump belt needs to stay on, it runs off the water pump....I think.

Me wonders if your belts were maybe WAY to tight to cuase the idler and the smog pump to lock up.

:(

John

[quote author=BigSur link=board=1;threadid=13587;start=msg125794#msg125794 date=1080066558]
    Hey LP, i cut the belt and turned the truck on...she no smoke this time but then BAM!!! Turns out my smog pump is siezed as well. I had a buddy look under the hood while it was squeling and he said my smog is dead. Can i cut that belt and still be safe until i get a new smog pump? Hell do i even need that dang thing?
    [/quote]

6. Romer

Romer fatherofdaughterofromer Moderator

Smog pump or air pump?

How many belts do you have? I thought there were onlt two even with AC. Did you make sure your belt to the alt is still there. If not, the elec system will die beacuse it will be all coming off the battery. You can gete a belt that will fit just the alt. On my 2F w/no AC I have a belt that drives the Air Pump and 1 that drives the Alt.

7. BigSur

BigSur

[quote author=Landpimp link=board=1;threadid=13587;start=msg125800#msg125800 date=1080066933]
    pretty sure the smog pump belt needs to stay on, it runs off the water pump....I think.

Me wonders if your belts were maybe WAY to tight to cuase the idler and the smog pump to lock up.

:(

John
    [/quote]

Well i haven't touch my belts since i got the truck 5 months ago and she's been running fine. Even on the way to work this morning she was running without a problem at all. If i loosen the belt a lil' would it be possible the Smog pump will engage and start running?