Help!! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello To All, I'm hoping one of the cruiser masters can shed some light here. Did a bunch of work on my April 79 Calif. FJ40 last year including carb rebuild, new fuel pump, and thorough tune up. It's been running great ever since and even my vacuum advance is working again. Truck is coming up on 400K miles and is almost all stock. 2 days ago drove around in am for 3 hours, running perfectly. That evening I started it up and as soon as I pulled away it wouldn't accelerate. Idles ok but as soon as I give it gas it starts to rev, hesitates, bucks, falls on its face and won't rev, almost feels like the plug wires are switched out or the dizzy is messed up. When I was able to get it on the street it was lurching and I had to limp over on the shoulder and just barely made it home, couldn't go faster than 5 mph. Next morning I checked the timing. . .which was ok at idle. Opened the distributor and nothing that I could notice there. Float level was a little lower than the mark but it always has been. When I tried to rev it while looking at the timing mark with my light, the ball seems to advance out of sight more than I would expect but maybe this is norman.
I had it towed to a local dealership ( last resort ) where there is a factory trained tech that works on older toyos but I'm worried he won't figure it out. His first thought was it was fuel related but I'm thinking it feels more like distributor or vacuum advance. Distributor is original with 400K miles and I'm thinking I should probably rebuild or replace regardless. Does this sound familiar to anyone? I'm really hurtin' as it's my only driver. Thanks in advance!!

Hello To All, I'm hoping one of the cruiser masters can shed some light here. Did a bunch of work on my April 79 Calif. FJ40 last year including carb rebuild, new fuel pump, and thorough tune up. It's been running great ever since and even my vacuum advance is working again. Truck is coming up on 400K miles and is almost all stock. 2 days ago drove around in am for 3 hours, running perfectly. That evening I started it up and as soon as I pulled away it wouldn't accelerate. Idles ok but as soon as I give it gas it starts to rev, hesitates, bucks, falls on its face and won't rev, almost feels like the plug wires are switched out or the dizzy is messed up. When I was able to get it on the street it was lurching and I had to limp over on the shoulder and just barely made it home, couldn't go faster than 5 mph. Next morning I checked the timing. . .which was ok at idle. Opened the distributor and nothing that I could notice there. Float level was a little lower than the mark but it always has been. When I tried to rev it while looking at the timing mark with my light, the ball seems to advance out of sight more than I would expect but maybe this is norman.
I had it towed to a local dealership ( last resort ) where there is a factory trained tech that works on older toyos but I'm worried he won't figure it out. His first thought was it was fuel related but I'm thinking it feels more like distributor or vacuum advance. Distributor is original with 400K miles and I'm thinking I should probably rebuild or replace regardless. Does this sound familiar to anyone? I'm really hurtin' as it's my only driver. Thanks in advance!!
Did you replace the fuel filter ?

KevO

Fuel filter, plugs, wires all recent. Oil was done this week. Was running perfectly just before it wasn't. I'll replace the filter when I get it back just in case.

. . . also it idled smoothly for 10 minutes before I tried to rev it. If fuel filter was clogged it show up at idle too?

I know from experience that fuel delivery interruption causes bucking. I dealt with fuel filter clogging until I got a new fuel tank. The old one had rusty scale on the inside roof of the tank. Whenever I filled up the tank it would slosh some scale into the mix.

Accelerator pump was done when carb was rebuilt a year ago. The guy does all the carbs for Specter. Thousands. Truck has never been parked for extended period and was boiled out in last 7 years. Never had any problem with crap in the gas. Will check the filter tho. The tech was gonna check fuel pressure first thing. I should hear from him today. Thanks for the replies.

When my accelerator pump went, the truck went from running great to nearly undrivable. I've heard lots of different guesses about how long the parts are supposed to last. Since it's easy to swap, a cheap part, and has such a dramatic impact on drivability, I just keep a spare in the glovebox.

You might want to remove the fuel inlet fitting and look back into the carb at the inlet screen, to see if it is coated w/ poo. That could cause the running out of fuel under load symptom.
Try pulling the choke when it's bucking. If choking it makes it any better, then the problem is a too lean mixture.
Coughing and bucking are classic signs of fuel starvation. Do more diagnosis instead of just replacing things and hoping. Disconnect the fuel line at the carb and check how much fuel comes out after 15 seconds with the fuel pump running. It should be about a half cup of fuel.

Bad ground to the Idle/full cut-off solenoid? Recheck the connection to this and add some silicone dielectric grease to the connector too.

I believe it sounds like a fuel issue as well. But for my 2¢.. I had problems with vacuum, high idle and cutting out, then I found my dizzy had froze up and created a vacuum leak, and no vacuum advance. Was original to the engine (as far as I can see..) replaced it with a rebuilt one and it fixed my issue.

Sounds like fuel delivery to me also. 7 years is plenty of time for your tank to rust up with ethanol gas. I would start by removing the fuel supply line at the carb and pull the coil wire. Turn over the engine and see how much fuel you are getting. Now cut open your fuel filter and inspect for rust. Put in new fuel filter and see how much fuel is pumped. Any difference? Also, pull your dip stick and verify your oil pan is not full of gas from a failing fuel pump..

Be aware if the issue is in your ignition system, your dizzy in particular, is a very limited production run. Caps are NLA, but you can still find rotors around. Pull the cap and rock the rotor back and fourth looking for slop. 400k miles and that dizzy could be toast. But I really think your issue is fuel related.

You can easily check your accelerator pump by looking at it while you move the throttle assembly. When mine was hung up you could literally see it hesitate as it moved way too slowly.

Thanks to all who chimed in. Cruiser is running great again. Was crap coming from the tank and lines. Now that I know what it was I realize I ran my fuel way low earlier this week, below the empty hash mark which I never do. Sucked up junk from the bottom of the tank. I will be pulling that tank soon and probably boil it out and do the POR tank sealer and replace all the hoses, filters etc. Dizzy seems ok but I'll do those checks recommended. Thanks again!!! Whew!!

you may not need to remove the tank, there is a drain in it and if you remove the sending unit, you should be able to see inside and see the condition.

first things first upgrade and update to the FJ60 transparent fuel filter , largest filter media and you can see inside if crapp is in there

second , like @3_puppies suggests drain your tank and flush with a gallon of low odor mineral spirits for good measure

here is your drain plug location

after your done stop by and i hook you up with a complimentary drain hole plug rubber oem grommet and the filter too , no cost involved ...........

keeps mice and colds air water out and warm and colds inside when you want them

FJ60 Fuel filter :

1608794337750.png

drain hole location :

and plug .....

1608794569518.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom