1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HELP!!

Discussion in '80-Series Tech' started by ChuckB, Mar 7, 2004.

1. ChuckB

ChuckB SILVER Star

My fiance just told me that her Dad is talking about buying her a used Grand Cherokee (WJ). :slap: Now I'm not normally one to look a gift horse in the mouth but, this goes against everything that I know. He's not really big on the foreign cars as her entire family is from Michigan...go figure!! I'm trying to convince her of this potential injustice. She loves my 60, and I'm trying to talk her into an 80. I know she likes them, but is a little hesitant to mention it to her father. I don't want to get on his bad side right off the bat by forcing my opinions when its his $$$. But if she gets a WJ, how do I justify buying and 80 in the near future??? Anyone outside the forum would read this and think I was the most ungrateful person in the world, but I know you understand the irony involved here. I think I'm having a nightmare... What should I do??

Chuck (making sacrifices to the cruisers gods as you read this)

2. Bradass80

Bradass80

Let him buy it for her then have her tell her dad that when you were driving down the road it broke down in front of a Toyota dealership so you had them take a look at it only to find out the motor blew so you had no other choice but to trade it in on a Land Cruiser, works every time, Brad. :D :D

3. mage

mage

Well, the only possible way out of this dilema is to to have your fiance that there is something you need as a new couple more than another vehicle right now. Trying to argue with him on his choice of vehicle is a sure path to bad feelings. So it is better to get him off the topic of vehicles all together. Maybe some money on a down payment for a house, or a nice honeymoon package. Then a discreet amount of time later (maybe a year when you have saved some $$) you go get your 80.

All I can think of.

Rick

4. e9999

e9999 You want to do what...? Moderator

just say a quick word to the Dad in passing to the effect that the Toy is built stronger (Africa and all that) even though it was made in -shudder- Japan and you know how we really should buy american. Leave it at that and let him buy the Heep.
    Then later, you will be proven right (he'll be impressed) and also your fiancee (with 2 Es I hope) will want to borrow your '80 all the time and you will be a hero to her (more important than to him).
    HTH :D
    Eric

5. Scamper

Scamper

My wife's dad from upstate NY was also very much against buying anything non-American (now deceased). At first, he would make comments about the crappy Japanese cars/trucks (which at the time was not too far from the mark). I understood his position (though I didn't agree with it) since he had fought in the Korean war and didn't care for Asians very much.

Later that went by the wayside. And when we bought the 80, after many months of interaction with him, he finally agreed that he would take a ride in it with us. After that, the negative comments disappeared, and he actually had nice things to say about it once in a while, though he himself would never go out and buy one.

So don't get between him and your fiance. If he wants to give her a gift of a jeep and she is happy with that, so be it. It's his money, his daughter, and his decision. In the meantime, when the opportinity comes up, give him a ride in the 60 and let him make the mental notes and come to his own conclusions about the LC vs the Jeep. Over time he may see the wisdom. You're never going to change him completely, so get used to it.

Tom

6. landtank

landtank SILVER Star

This isn't about vehicles and if you think it is you're missing the mark. It's about his little daughter getting married and having another man influence her life. The truck his his way to stay in touch with his influence. I would politely and respectively decline the gift. It will only further aggrivate you as when it does break you'll pay for the repairs and only drive a wedge between you and your father-in-law.

In my opinion if you don't take a stand right now you will be battling this for years to come. Also your soon to be wife needs to bacjk you on this as you will be the MAN in her life from now on.

Best of luck

7. scottm

scottm

Media:
    Albums:
    Has your wife driven your bro's 80 or a used heep? My wife wasn't interested in a truck 'till I got mine and she drove it some. I never got it back, we dumped the new Toyota minivan for another 80. I've heard the same story from many cuiser owners: wife won't give it back. Beg your bro to let her drive it awhile, then go test drive some heeps. My wife was shocked at the poor quality of heeps after driving Toyota awhile. Any driving she does in the 80 will help. She'll probably never say anything to her dad, but I'll bet she has her ways of influencing him, like telling her mom, who won't hesitate to tell her dad. Good luck!

8. Draken

Draken

Media:
    I ditto landtank's sentiment...he's spot on :beer:

If you need to fight your cause...maybe a reference to the Gov't's use of Toyotas in Afghanistan or some reference to Toyota's proven reliability will help.

Good Luck...I don't envy your situation...

9. brian

brian SILVER Star

landtank is right. i have a buddy in a nearly indentical spot, right now he's on the lossing end. her parents just have too much of an influence on her, and that she "owes" them for somethings they done. to the piont of very heated problems over just who is planning the wedding.

but on the other hand if you do receive the heep(by all means pass on it), it's just that a cheep. it won't take much to have rather quick and costly repiar bills, that would not justify keeping the lemon :ban:
    just drive it hard, it won't last long. then trade it in. ;)

10. scottm

scottm

Media:
    Albums:
    I say landtank may be partially right, but that may not be the main issue for Dad. My wife's family is from Lansing, MI, they (and she) worked for GM, and her dad has a large auto repair complex he built from scratch there. He doesn't like foreign cars, and he's made many cars available to us, cheap or free, when we were looking for a car and didn't have much money. Including a heep or two. Sound familiar?

There's a 60 for sale near my house, it's been sitting most of the winter. I've stopped and looked at it a few times as a replacement for my own daughter's aging car. It's sound, needs some work, could be reliable, but I always decide no way for my daughter, even though it'd be cool. If Chuck's girl's dad is making this judgment based on Chuck's rusty 60, I don't blame him. If my daughter fell in love with the thing, I'd restore it for her, but it lacks a lot of modern safety and reliability features. That's how dads think about cars for their daughters. Most dad's from Michigan think a heep is a sturdy and reliable vehicle. My wife's dad thought I was buying the boxy Range Rover from Wild Kingdom, was very skeptical 'till he saw the 80. They're unlikely to be swayed by your rusty 60, but a '97 80 is the finest machine to ever roll off an assembly line...ah...in my opinion. Anyway, get her driving the 80, drive it to Michigan if you have to (stop by on your way), take the heep, you'll need another car before long anyway, save up for an 80.

11. T Y L E R

T Y L E R

[glow=black,2,2]Talk about looking a gift hourse in the mouth ... lighten up a lil guys ::)[/glow]
    [color=555555]T[/color][color=2E3136]T[/color][color=555555]Y[/color][color=2E3136]Y[/color][color=555555]L[/color][color=2E3136]L[/color][color=555555]E[/color][color=2E3136]E[/color][color=555555]R[/color][color=2E3136]R[/color]

12. landtank

landtank SILVER Star

As for my daughters first car it will be a Toyota, which is in about 18 months. However that is mostly because she is looking for me for guidance and I'll be responsible for helping her when the vehicle has trouble. That said, if and when she gets involved with someone to a point where it's THEIR decission, I have no problem letting them make and live by that decission. If this gentleman is looking to help them with their vehicle purchase then a loan would seem more appropriate. Placing conditions on the help you will provide just doesn't seem right to me.

13. Pitbull

Pitbull

Your engaged not married. Let the old man buy her a jeep. After your married, trade it in on the 80. He will get the message that you now make the decisions in your family. If he does not like it then you know right off the bat that he is a problem and this might keep him out of your marriage, since he will know you make the decisions in your house. I call that a Win/Win :)

14. ChuckB

ChuckB SILVER Star

I knew that I could count on you guys to give me some food for thought. My main concern is not actually the fact that its a jeep but more a reliability/safety issue. A couple weeks ago they were talking about a Volvo, I'm not sure what happened to that. Agreed, my tired old 60 is nothing to base the heritage of LC on, but it is 17 years old and still running. But I'm thinking way down the line as far as having kids and all the good stuff. Which leads me to getting rid of my 60 for an 80. I have already pulled the safety card and sent her the edmunds.com breakdown of how poorly the jeep comes out of an impact. We'll see if that has any influence. Pretty much I think I'm going take the approach of giving my input when asked for. Her whole family knows that I'm an automotive enthusiast and I'm confident if they want my opinion they will ask for it. I have my Z and my 60 so I'm not exactly looking for an 80 at the present time, I would like to get one before they all have over 200K though. If worst comes to worst and we end up with it, I will just play the waiting game. I'll buy an 80 when the time comes and just wait for the heep to start imploding on itself. Once that happens it will be gone before you can say Grand Cherokee. I know that the LC will eventually triumph over all less superior vehicles. I already bought a house last summer on a deal I couldn't pass up, so that is not even an issue here. I'll make the best of the situation, I already have a list of mods going in my head, OME, ARB, sliders... maybe this will be fun after all ???