Help with wiring NSS (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Does anyone have a wiring diagram from the engine harness side of the neutral safety switch for the barrel connector? I'm missing some wiring which has been giving my problems over the last 6 months and am hoping this will end it. I looked all throughout my service manual but can't seem to find it anywhere. Any help is greatly appreciated

I have attached a picture from when I snipped mine earlier I can't seem to figure out where the yellow should go and the black/ orange. They were both corroded away mostly.

20201217_160652.jpg

EDIT:
I posted the connector info here yesterday. (Post #42)

This is from the 1994 EWD; I think it's the same as the 1993. I just went though this myself this summer. See pg 122: the Yellow is the power lead, the others complete the circuit for the PRNDL2 lights. The Black/Orange is the D light. Look closely at the EWD, there are two Yellow wires on it for the Combination Meter. Only one goes to the connector for the PRNDL2 lights; the other is for the O/D light. To make things worse, there is yet another Yellow wire on the EWD between the Transfer switch and the J4 connector (pg 120). You do not want that circuit.

EWD, pg 120-121 (ECT and AT indicator).png

EWD, pg 122-123 (ECT and AT indicator).png

EWD, pg 124-125 (ECT and AT indicator).png

Last edited:
FWIW, here's the '95 switch circuit:
1608319509850.png

So, even though the NSS may be different, the circuit looks the same. I don't know, but I'd be surprised if the engine side pigtail connector isn't the same too. Just in case you wanted a new one and couldn't find a '93/'94.

FWIW, here's the '95 switch circuit:
View attachment 2528280

So, even though the NSS may be different, the circuit looks the same. I don't know, but I'd be surprised if the engine side pigtail connector isn't the same too. Just in case you wanted a new one and couldn't find a '93/'94.

Does anyone know (part #) and if they sell the engine side pigtail anymore?

Get the 5 digit number off the old one. EG "11245" or similar.

Get the 5 digit number off the old one. EG "11245" or similar.
Does anyone know (part #) and if they sell the engine side pigtail anymore?
I'm talking about the immediate end on the barrel plug, I think you are up on the ecu end. I will need those diagrams for sure after I'm done rewiring to the plug.

The only numbers I see on the barrel plug female end is 3190. Then there is a random 4 on the next line down. These are inside the plug

The number is molded in the connector housing on the back side near where the wires enter it. If there is a 5 digit number there is a chance the connector housing is serviced. To make it into a complete part number you put "90980-" in front of the molded number. EG 11245 would be 90980-11245.

If there is no number the connector is not serviced. In addition not all numbered connectors are actually available.

I have a wiring repair maanual at home that is chocked-full of connector illustrations and charts that give the part numbers for the repair splices to populate them. Somewhere I also have my old Neutral Safety Switch that I replaced a year or so ago, chasing a problem that ended up being inside the indicator lamp assembly in the instrument cluster. If I can find it I can see if there is a number on its connector. Often I can back into the mating side with the number of the opposite side.

I have a wiring repair maanual at home that is chocked-full of connector illustrations and charts that give the part numbers for the repair splices to populate them. Somewhere I also have my old Neutral Safety Switch that I replaced a year or so ago, chasing a problem that ended up being inside the indicator lamp assembly in the instrument cluster. If I can find it I can see if there is a number on its connector. Often I can back into the mating side with the number of the opposite side.

I have it snipped out as I'm going to grab a Deutch waterproof plug for it.

20201218_144134.jpg

See my earlier post...

90980-10380.-81, 9P, WP type housing, pg D-17, Harness Repair Maunal.png

90980-10380.-81, 9P, WP type housing, pg E-10, Harness Repair Maunal.png

As a footnote the X next to the number indicates that the connector is not serviced.
Screenshot_2020-12-18 Help with wiring NSS.png

FWIW, there are several versions of the Wiring Harness Repair Manual; I have no idea how often Toyota publishes them, but they overlap from edition to edition. The one I posted (RM1022E) was new when our trucks were.

@cruiserdan: I have wondered what that "X" meant since I first opened this manual. What do you mean by "serviced"?

Serviced means you can buy them.

My copy is a RM767E. Pub date Jan 14 2000.

If you look at your first page of the housing part number section there is a legend. I'll get a pic of mine.

20201218_184445.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom