1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help With Watch Purchase

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by BELMONT148, Aug 21, 2006.

1. BELMONT148

BELMONT148

Media:
    Albums:
    I am going to be purchasing a watch next week while I am out of the country, and was wondering if you guess have any input on what dive watch I should get. I was looking at a Tag Aquaracer chronograph but did not know that much about them. Any help or opinions you guys can give me would be appreciated. Looks like a lot of people suggest the Omega. What do you think of these two?

Jeremy

Update: I have just gotten back from my trip and I could not find the Omega that I was looking for. Most shops either did not carry Omega or were sold out the Seamaster pictured below. I did not want to go without a watch until I found the one I was looking for so I bought a Tissot model PRS200. I was going to just buy a citizen but this was a swiss made watch with a sphire crystal glass for about $90.00 more. Here is a link to the one I purchased.

http://www.tissot.ch/?mod_collectio...5/subid_0072/refid_T17_1_486_34/action_select

I paid $340.00 for it with no sales tax. Most variations of the Seamaster pictured below sold for around $1700.00 duty-free with no tax in Jamaica. That was about the best price I found But most were in black, and really wanted the blue. Thanks for all the help, and if you guys know anything about the Tissot watches, good or bad, your input would be appreciated. It is a really nice watch for the money, IMHOP.

Jeremy

2. carboncycles

carboncycles

Tags are decent watches but I think you could probably do better. What is your budget?

3. jjbodean1970

jjbodean1970

theres always the popular rolex submariner, a true classic that will never go out of style. i wanted something a little different so i went with the rolex seadweller, looks like a submariner on steroids, thicker, beefier, and good to 4400 feet instead of the standard 1000.

4. BELMONT148

BELMONT148

Media:
    Albums:
    $1500.00. I might spring for as much as $2500.00 for the perfect watch that I could pass down. I really just want a really nice watch that won't break down on me that would be great for diving and watersports. Keep in mind that this will be duty free, so about 15%-35% off retail.

5. jjbodean1970

jjbodean1970

6. jjbodean1970

jjbodean1970

how about a nice pre-owned omega seamaster

7. koop

koop

8. carboncycles

carboncycles

I'd recommend Sinn

http://www.watchbuys.com/Sinn.htm

Then there is the "orange monster" by Seiko which is a pretty nice well priced dive watch.

In that price range, the Rollies are out unless you get used. Some of the Breitling are good.

9. jjbodean1970

jjbodean1970

www.timezone.com is an excellent watch forum, have to agree with koop. i sold my rolex gmt and bought my seadweller on there

10. Landpimp

Landpimp

Media:
    can't you get a Timex in the states? :D

sorry just not nor ever be a watch guy, I have a beat to death Luminox and works great, got it for $100......more than I ever thought i would spend on a watch.

Look at what some of the weathest people in the world wear on their wrists......I bet you find a lot of cheap watches

11. lockd-97

lockd-97

I love my TAG, I'd go for it.

12. ff347

ff347

Media:
    Albums:
    Omega, whatever is in your budget. :cheers:

13. CMD82

CMD82

I second the Omega Seamaster.

14. concretejungle

concretejungle SILVER Star

I like the tag watches. I have a connection for a member of Jeff Gordon's pit crew and Tag is one of his sponsors. He can get me tags for 1/2 price....that said, i have a invicta and love it. I have had more positive comments about my invicta than some of my friends with tags and rolex's.

15. Cruisin'Carolina

Cruisin'Carolina

I have no regrets buying my Tag Professional

16. Drinkin40s

Drinkin40s

I have a Omega Seamaster in Titanium (wedding gift - luckily my Wife has good taste) and it's extemely light. I have some Tags, but I always chose the Omega to wear. Get the best you can afford since you'll probably have it a LONG time.

17. secretagent

secretagent

i have an omega seamaster and love it, decent price also.

18. carboncycles

carboncycles

Between those 2..I say go with the Omega for several reasons. I still think the Sinn is a great buy as well. Panerai are also a great watch also.

19. cruiser4life

cruiser4life

This is a good point and directly relates to "buying" habits of some of the wealthiest people in the world. They are that way for multiple reasons, frugal spending habits included.

Look at what some of the wealthiest people in the world drive...I bet you find a lot of cheap vehicles too!

All of that being said, my vote would be for my experience with my TAG. I've had it for 11 years, wear it every day of the year, put it through the paces / am very rough with it and it has never let me down and still looks great on dressier occasions.

20. ATLcrusher

ATLcrusher

The reality is that in that price range, almost all Swiss watches share the same ETA movement (if automatic). ETA movements are made by the Swiss conglomerate Swatch Group. Many of the watches at that price point are also made by Swatch (under different name brands obviously). My point is that it comes down to personal taste more than anything as you will probably see a similar level of "quality" across most of these brands (again, in this price band). I personally am partial to Omega, Oris and Sinn. I also own about a dozen different Seiko dive watches.

Edit: Oh, I can't see spending that kind of money for a quartz watch BTW.

data-matched-content-rows-num="2,1" data-matched-content-columns-num="1,4" data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">