Help with Touchup Paint color (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

merbesfield

SILVER Star
Threads
My truck is a 2005 and the color code is 1D2, which is supposedly “Thunder Cloud Metalic”. I order the original Touchup from Toyota and tried it. This is what it looks like. Not even close to correct silver color. Anyone have any info or help on this?

0D6968CA-871C-4D5E-87B1-1433BEF73DFD.jpeg

BBEB0297-4A56-454E-8F0A-E954998EB0E0.jpeg

Metallic paints are notoriously difficult to match when using a brush. The metallic flakes don't lay out as they do with a sprayer. If you got the paint from Toyota it's probably the right color and a pro could probably spray it to a good match by varying the air pressure and distance from the surface. But doing it yourself with a brush you'll probably just have get some lighter silver and mix the two paints until you get a better result. But it's not going to look great - it's metallic paint.

You are not alone in this.

I also own an 05 in thunder cloud and have 1D2 touchup which when I applied it a month ago came out similarly dark and mismatched. The interesting thing is that I have had this same container of touchup paint for about 10 years and when I look at spots I touched up right after I got it, it was a perfect match. Even though I did shake it very well, something about the paint has changed to create the dark appearance.

Was your container new? If so, it still could have sat in a warehouse and changed in a similar way.

You are not alone in this.

I also own an 05 in thunder cloud and have 1D2 touchup which when I applied it a month ago came out similarly dark and mismatched. The interesting thing is that I have had this same container of touchup paint for about 10 years and when I look at spots I touched up right after I got it, it was a perfect match. Even though I did shake it very well, something about the paint has changed to create the dark appearance.

Was your container new? If so, it still could have sat in a warehouse and changed in a similar way.

I bought it off ebay so it is very possible that the touchup is old. I may go to the local dealer and see if they will allow me to test it. Maybe they will be reasonable, esp. if I show them the bottle that is incorrect. I have actually had petty good luck w various touchups over the years. I take my time, do it in multiple stages and finish with a color sand and buff. It is never perfect, but always better than what I started with. In the end, I will probably have the front refinished at some point bc the truck lived on dry gravel roads and suffers from tons of stone chips. I was just trying to buy some time.

Try drcolorchip.com I know one of the guys there and the color my on my lx was perfect

I've used a few colors of Automotive Touch Up. It's about as good as touch up paint gets. Touch up is just not meant to match that well. When panels are sprayed in a real paint job, a large blend area is always required if you want any chance of not seeing exactly where the old paint stops and the new begins.

Paint changes over time (damn UV and oxidation) and any new paint mix will not match the OEM color that's been on your car for 13-22 years. Metallics add an extra layer of problem to this in that the flake must be the same in type and concentration. Larry from AmmoNYC has a good approach to this where he says you should just aim for protecting the metal underneath. That's quick and easy and looks pretty good. Getting it to look near perfect involves waaaaay more time and money and is rarely worth it. Cover up the exposed steel with roughly the right color and move on.

Mine is also 1D2 Thudercloud Metallic ('04). Been needing to order touch up paint for a while. Just ordered a touch up brush, and a spray can from Automotove TouchUp. We'll see how it goes. Mine also had a full respray before I got it so I'm hoping they got the color right on that, but it looks just like the OPs rig.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom