Help with starter wiring (cummins swap) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm close to wrapping up my cummins swap in my 1993 80 and cannot for the life of me figure out where to get a starter signal wire from the harness. I cannot find the starter relay. Thought it should be on the fender but don't see one anywhere. I don't think I would have removed it. Is it possible that I don't have one? I have searched the Web over and see them on the fender. Could someone tell me where the start wire from the ignition would be? Apparently I didn't take good enough notes with these connectors. Guess i got too excited when i was ripping out the old tired engine. Thanks much. ..Fred

IMG_20191101_170004516.jpg

IMG_20191101_170008037.jpg

IMG_20191101_171847468.jpg

Follow it from the ignition switch on the column. I’m not at home to get the wire color at the moment.

Relay was on the starter originally just like the Cummins starter. It comes off the trans portion of the harness driver side. At least it does not the 96.

Ok. I thought that there was a starter relay prior to the solenoid on the starter but apparently not. I see the connector on my original starter with a few inches of wire where I snipped it but don't see where it came from. I did give the transmission away so perhaps that's where the rest went. I'll try to follow it from the ignition as Mr. Cimarron stated.

Ok. I thought that there was a starter relay prior to the solenoid on the starter but apparently not. I see the connector on my original starter with a few inches of wire where I snipped it but don't see where it came from. I did give the transmission away so perhaps that's where the rest went. I'll try to follow it from the ignition as Mr. Cimarron stated.
I running a separate relay on my current build. Same double relay type like the grid heater. Using one side for shutdown and the other for starter.
A34CE648-DF27-4B9A-ACC0-296A46089384.jpeg

No US spec 80 Series had a starter relay.
The starter logic wire should be in the same harness with the starter hot lead that connects directly to the battery positive terminal. A smaller gauge, single wire with a female spade connector in a black housing. Should be black wire with a red stripe.

Last edited:
This is what I have : the three fusible links that end at a ring terminal on one "split" and on the other ring connector split I have two unknown gray colored connectors and a black connector with two wires. Is the black connector what I'm looking for. I know it was mentioned as a single wire.

IMG_20191102_103750723.jpg

This doesn't look right to me. The starter is way down on the bellhousing on the left. None of those wires in that harness look like they're going to make it.
If I'm reading the FSM correctly, the starter logic wire comes off the harness that runs across the upper firewall and down on the left side. It looks like you're digging in the wrong place.

I would add a relay with the Cummins.

I tapped into the signal wire from the harness coming from the firewall. Straight to starter solenoid.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom