Help with snorkel (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello folks wondering if somebody here knows the difference between the snorkel ARB SS81HF and the ARB SS82R
I placed an order for a safari snorkel at OK4WD the part number was ARB81HF a week later i received a email saying that the part number superceded to SS82R let us know if that works for you.
Well i try to research the difference but i wasnt able to find anything on the matter, don't know if that is gonna fit properly or whats the deal here.
i checked the ARB website and according to them the part number is SS82R
anyways if somebody have any input on this please let me know thanks.
btw my rig is a 93'

Check out Safari4x4.com.au

looks like the 82 model has an extra stud going thru the sheetmetal. 7 M8 studs, vs 5 M8 and 1M6 stud on the 81 models. R model is recreational and HF is industrial. They all still use the square plastic nuts in the A-pillar which I never liked and tossed and replaced with rivnuts.

Check out Safari4x4.com.au

looks like the 82 model has an extra stud going thru the sheetmetal. 7 M8 studs, vs 5 M8 and 1M6 stud on the 81 models. R model is recreational and HF is industrial. They all still use the square plastic nuts in the A-pillar which I never liked and tossed and replaced with rivnuts.
Gotcha thanks for the input

I think there is a bit more to this story.....happened to be looking into this myself today to order and have 4 different part numbers now and pricing ranging from $300 to $600 from the "normal" vendors. That is a pretty big difference. It seems this newer R model is inferior plastic to the older one? The SS82R apparently also sits lower than the old one to clear the antenna. Still researching and about to shoot an email to ARB.

Yeah if you’re gonna do the Safari Snorkel, I’d get the assumed thicker plastic HF model, which I believe was the only one offered over the years. ARB may be trying to offer a budget version in the R model to counter the Dorkel knockoffs on eBay and Amazon.

Just buy the friggin Chinese Snorkel!

It has saved many a rollover here!

Reviving this thread as there is no real information on the differences for those of us who are looking for genuine parts.

There seems to be 2 snorkels now.

SS82R which from this thread sounds to be an economical choice (not confirmed) and SS82HF which sounds to have thicker plastic?

What about the shape? I know the old models had the squarish shape. The newer ones are more round?

Anyone have pictures from either model? or an ARB rep wants to chime in?

From what I understand, there are only two differences between the SS82R and the SS82HF:
-The SS82HF is apparently made out of "Industrial Spec" UV stabilised polyethylene, vs the "Recreational Spec" UV stabilised polyethylene in the SS82R. There's no more information about what that means.
-The SS82HF has a lifetime warranty, vs the 5 year warranty of the SS82R.
Both are expensive. I ended up getting the older SS81HF for my rig from a part-out here in Aus.

The difference between the 2 ARB versions isn't as intriguing as the difference between the ARB models and the versions available from ebay or Amazon for a fraction of the price.

Yeah, I had a cheap ebay snorkel side by side with the SS81HF. You can tell there's a difference between the materials, but I can't say how much of a difference it would make in reality. The mould itself was basically identical though.

So on the originals, the flow is the same between the two models? that was really my concern.

Thanks, I'll order the HF model

From a cosmetic standpoint, the SS82R looks much bigger than the SS82HF. Side by side, a noticeable difference, assuming better flow. However, a tech from ARB said the R just stands for recycled material. There isn't any flow change.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom