Help With Shock Washer Issue (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
In the middle of installing 865 rear coils with new OEM shocks. About to put the coils in and neither is labeled A or B. Both just have tags that say 865X. Both appear to be exact same height. Was anticipating there being an A and a B label. Also was thinking DS would be just a tad taller. These look almost identical. Any thoughts?

The OME 865/2865 springs are supposed to be the same height.

On the chart below, if you compare "free height" for the 2865 springs to the "free height" for 2860 springs, you'll see that the 2860 springs are different heights, while the 2865 are the same height.

From Cruiser Outfitters

1598734537614.png

1598734619475.png

Excellent, thank you! Started worrying about getting them wrong.

One other thing we ran into on the shocks- was planning on re using the top washers. The washers on the top of the shocks I just took off will not go on the new OEM shocks. The hole is too small, not by much, but definitely too small. OD appears to match up with the new OEM bushings, but the inside hole is not the same size. Any problem with putting these on the press and drilling out to fit with the new shocks? I am thinking someone put aftermarket shocks on at some point and that is the issue.

Excellent, thank you! Started worrying about getting them wrong.

One other thing we ran into on the shocks- was planning on re using the top washers. The washers on the top of the shocks I just took off will not go on the new OEM shocks. The hole is too small, not by much, but definitely too small. OD appears to match up with the new OEM bushings, but the inside hole is not the same size. Any problem with putting these on the press and drilling out to fit with the new shocks? I am thinking someone put aftermarket shocks on at some point and that is the issue.
Common issue when OEM shocks are replaced with aftermarket brand with smaller shaft: Installer uses the new washers and tosses the solid gold OEM ones in the trash.

You can drill out the washers but there’s supposed to be one on each side with a raised lip that sits inside the frame mount hole to keeps the shaft centered. Without this special washer the shaft is free to annoyingly knock around inside the frame mount as you drive.

Part numbers for rear shock washers are:
2x 90948-02170 (with lip)
D34C95B7-43F3-4B8F-B513-09916AC5BD76.jpeg

6x 90948-02173 (without lip)
D83ED0B5-500F-4B48-9303-F40F2C1D4FC3.jpeg

Last edited:
Dang, looks like I have screwed up as the truck is on jacks currently. I was positive the old shocks were OEM but I was wrong. Guess I am going to have to try to track these down. Assuming there are not any O'Reillys, NAPA, etc substitutes. Dealer obviously won't be open until Monday. Thanks all for the help.

Think these are the shocks that came off

Amazon product ASIN B009DNWP5I
I drilled out the centers to fit on the new OEM shocks. Wondering if I can re-use the two washers from the Monroe shocks and just buy the OEM retainer that has the lip that @Ayune mentions? That would be a much cheaper route. Looks like if I buy all new OEM it will be north of $200. :frown:
The Monroe washers that I drilled look like they would function similarly if coupled with the retainer that has the lip to keep the shock centered and in proper position.

If I have to go the all new OEM route can someone confirm that I have a complete list?

Rears

90948-02173 x 6
90948-02170 x2

Fronts

Looking online at this diagram Genuine OEM Suspension Components Parts for 2005 Toyota Land Cruiser Base - Olathe Toyota Parts Center

Appears as though I need :

90948-02174 x 2 contains "upper and lower retainers"
90948-02182 x 2
90948-02176 x 2

Last edited:
Think these are the shocks that came off

Amazon product ASIN B009DNWP5I
I drilled out the centers to fit on the new OEM shocks. Wondering if I can re-use the two washers from the Monroe shocks and just buy the OEM retainer that has the lip that @Ayune mentions? That would be a much cheaper route. Looks like if I buy all new OEM it will be north of $200. :frown:
The Monroe washers that I drilled look like they would function similarly if coupled with the retainer that has the lip to keep the shock centered and in proper position.

If I have to go the all new OEM route can someone confirm that I have a complete list?

Rears

90948-02173 x 6
90948-02170 x2

Fronts

Looking online at this diagram Genuine OEM Suspension Components Parts for 2005 Toyota Land Cruiser Base - Olathe Toyota Parts Center

Appears as though I need :

90948-02174 x 2 contains "upper and lower retainers"
90948-02182 x 2
90948-02176 x 2
Those OEMpart numbers are right. Pretty sure they’re sold individually, though, so be sure to get eight total:

90948-02174 x 4
90948-02182 x 2
90948-02176 x 2

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom