Wanted Help with sale or is this a scam? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I am talking to a lady selling a 2013 with 98k on it for 21k. Yes, 21k. I reached out to her on cars.com but when she responded to my initial email it didn't' have any cars.com reference in the email(which I thought it would). I asked her for the link to the original ad and she said it expired. I had reached out to several 200 series sellers on cars.com and a couple were in fact scams that got flagged and removed so I couldn't remember what 200 she was selling.

The vehicle is in Rochester NY and she included a carfax along with photos. The low price on this truck screams scam to me but what do you guys think?

It's a 1 owner, super clean and has had all its servicing done at a Toyota Dealership in NY.

What should be my next questions for her?

Picture of door plate with VIN #. Then picture of title before you go to far.

"Rochester NY" I'd want detailed pictures of undercarriage first of all.

Next question: When can I see the truck?

Saw a very similar one listed in OK and used the same photos of one ACTUALLY for sale in Boulder. I think it was black and parked next to a building. I believe I also saw it on a Craigslist post somewhere else in the country.

The story is she lost her husband and this is something she no longer needs.

The sale apparently is being handled through Liberty Mart Escrow and they would handle the exchange of money. The truck I believe would be shipped to me at which point I could get it inspected and checked out. Once I approve then the money would be released. I mean for 21k this is a steal no?

Anyone ever done business through them?

The sale apparently is being handled through Liberty Mart Escrow and they would handle the exchange of money.

Anyone ever done business through them?

Wait . . . you're serious? Maybe I'm too old school but never ever ever would I do something like that. No way, no how. All the literature out there on avoiding scams indicates Escrow is a sure fire marker of a scam. I'd avoid it personally.

I will say I went on their site and they look legit. But think it through - they have your money - you get the truck, not what you expected/some issue/bad PPI/rust - whatever - now what do you do? They shipped it to you. Ship it back? Who pays? What's the 'out'? Sketch, even with the escrow involved.

Agree man. Its super fishy and that website is bogus as hell.

You should check this one out: For Sale - 2008 Land Cruiser Eastern NC which seems more realistic and is about a 2 hour drive for you, roughly. If that truck checks out it's a pretty good deal per KBB. I'd add 30-45 for proper BBQ stops tho :).

I bought my 80 on Craigslist years ago. The seller was local and Ive only recently started looking at the online auto sale websites.

Honestly never knew such a market of scammers existed with auto sales.

I will say I went on their site and they look legit.

Getting late on a Friday and I must be getting jello brain (EDIT: actually, I am def getting jello brain as I thought it was Friday already, sheesh). Sorry didn't trust my gut/experience and balked there.

This Google search generates 5 results for "Liberty Mart Escrow": "Liberty Mart Escrow" - Google Search
Search your own name you'll get more than 5 results. Interesting top result is:

Additional Information: BBB could not confirm the existence of this company's operation in Florida. We did not find a corporate registration on file with the Florida Secretary of State (Sunbiz.org) or a Business Tax Receipt Filing Dept. with Miami Dade County.

Before transferring funds for escrow, please verify the recipient bank account. Read More

I will say I went on their site and they look legit. But think it through - they have your money - you get the truck, not what you expected/some issue/bad PPI/rust - whatever - now what do you do? They shipped it to you. Ship it back? Who pays? What's the 'out'? Sketch, even with the escrow involved.

The escrow IS the scam.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom