Help with Saginaw PS conversion on 76 FJ40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey, so I am putting on a Saginaw PS conversion.
I got the mount welded on the bracket from btb. The angle is way off and the holes no longer line up.
Will I just have to take a chunk out of this to get the angel correct so the hole line back up?

IMG-1787.jpg

I can get more pics in tomorrow if need be.

also here's a pic of the way i have the bracket installed, I just want to get some input before I hack it out.

IMG-1786.jpg

What does it look like with your Saginaw unit bolted up? It doesn't have to be exact but if it is pointed too low, you would need to cut off the mount and reattach it at a higher angle. Make sure you reinforce that hole with a piece of tubing or something. Cutting the hole really weakens that support.

Yeah so the pictures are bad, but the top hole lines up, but the bottom ones don't line up. The front feels like it needs to come down.

Pics:
IMG-1791.jpg
IMG-1790.jpg

From those pictures it looks like you have a 3 bolt saginaw box. That would have different mounting hole locations than the 4 bolt mounting plate that you have.
The mount that I got says it works with the 3 bolt saginaw boxes, and it does the I could mount the box when it was not on the FJ40.
It just does not line up now because the box is sitting odd.

If you put tube in the frame, make sure the whole u-joint assembly turns without dragging inside the tube. Always tack weld and check fitment. Made that mistake many times.

I think just the tube can be purchased from cruiser outfitters. I used their whole kit with great success.

Glad to hear it is going better. In the future, if you're doing anything similar, have the unit bolted to the bracket, position it as perfect as possible being held in place with clamps, and tack it in place. then remove the component and weld it up.

now that I got the box on I'm searching for parts etc...
is there anyone on mud that sells saginaw PS pump brackets for less than like $170?
seems pricey for what it is.

From those pictures it looks like you have a 3 bolt saginaw box. That would have different mounting hole locations than the 4 bolt mounting plate that you have.
Disagree, the 3 bolt boxes and 4 bolt boxes share the same bolt pattern. Back in the day when GM used 4 bolt boxes they sometimes only bolted up to frame with 3 bolts on some models, didn't even put the 4th bolt hole into the frame.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom