Help with rust (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Well, time for me to move up to 100 series from my 80 (son turns 16 next week and gets her). I found a nice low mileage single owner in MA, but worried about potential rust. Got some pics below...any thoughts?

Looks like someone's tried to take care of it by keeping it coated, but salt can't be defeated forever.

It's a PITA to keep looking, but something clean should pop up in TX, NM, AZ, etc. eventually. Unless you're really hung up on low mileage and single owner—that would be lots tougher to find.

Thats tough... but it looks like they have painted over some of the areas. From personal experience, I picked up a 2000 LC with "minimal rust" and within the first 3 months the brake lines ruptured and the gas tank began to leak... Almost $3k in repairs later and I sold it. Mainly beacause I didn't know what else would end up coming from the rust.

Looks like someone's tried to take care of it by keeping it coated, but salt can't be defeated forever.

It's a PITA to keep looking, but something clean should pop up in TX, NM, AZ, etc. eventually. Unless you're really hung up on low mileage and single owner—that would be lots tougher to find.
To me it looks like someone just sprayed black paint over rust for a faster sale. That's very different than someone coating it before rust developed as a means to prevent rust.

Looks like rubberized coating...which is never good. You can see the over spray on the shock sticker.

I'm from MA. Looked roughly a year through out NE for something rust free or even a well looked after example with an acceptable amount. No chance. Ended up biting the bullet and shifted focus to the midwest. Found a 2000 LC with 268k in AZ...ZERO rust. Bought it. Flew out that weekend and drove 2750 miles home. Only way a 20+ year old 100 series in the North East is going to be rust free.

It's a pain to find something, negotiate a fair price and get it back here but if you're planning on building it or keeping it for any amount of time, it's the only way you'll get one that will last another 20 years in New England.

Reactions: cmw
Looks like rubberized coating...which is never good. You can see the over spray on the shock sticker.

I'm from MA. Looked roughly a year through out NE for something rust free or even a well looked after example with an acceptable amount. No chance. Ended up biting the bullet and shifted focus to the midwest. Found a 2000 LC with 268k in AZ...ZERO rust. Bought it. Flew out that weekend and drove 2750 miles home. Only way a 20+ year old 100 series in the North East is going to be rust free.

It's a pain to find something, negotiate a fair price and get it back here but if you're planning on building it or keeping it for any amount of time, it's the only way you'll get one that will last another 20 years in New England.

Awesome road trip

@rando : If that happens to be the silver '06 in Newburyport, MA then just as a heads up, that's been up for sale for LONG time! I have seen that pop up every once in a while for the past few years, usually about the same price too.

Very much what I was about to try to write.

Rando - there is no chance you will find something better from New England than from Texas.

Thanks all! I just needed someone else to confirm what I was already thinking...funny how that works.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom