Help with rings/springs for exhaust manifold horns (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
How do these rings look? They are flush with the manifold surface - should they be thicker? It’s a lot of money for springs and rings ($125+) so would love to not replace if I don’t have to. FYI, the front spun freely and the back needed to be hammered off. These are off an ‘85. TIA.

8E6C1BC2-4ED8-4FBA-8997-89C737666103.jpeg

42255045-F0A8-4618-BDFC-9667F18C741A.jpeg

0AB1FB15-2C6C-4677-892C-BC669265BD2F.jpeg

617A0096-E57D-4A8B-B7D9-C25626D74627.jpeg

They are in much better shape than mine were a few months ago when I replaced. I was a little surprised to see the piece of those parts as well.

I would run them. I'm a cheap skate though.

Think of it this way:

If you have to pull the manifold again to replace them if they leak, is your time worth more or less than the $125?

My hunch is that they won't leak BTW.

You decide.
Clean up the insides of the exhaust manifold mating ends with some 1000 grit wet or dry emory paper wet sanding with some WD-40 until the inner surface is nice & clean and rust free.
Remove those rings on the end and clean them up the same way. Bend them open a tad. Be careful with the fragile springs. Clean the groove too.

Then install the rings back on the ends with the gaps opposing each other. Then insert into the manifold. It should be kinda finicky trying to get it back it as you try to compress the rings as you insert it.

Once it's in- check for tightness. It should feel very snug and have no play, but not bind.

^^

As OSS sez: Take the rings out (there's a spring thing underneath them) and clean everything, then reinstall.

The rings/springs are high-quality stainless so rarely are they bad, unless severely corroded, or broken.

If you consider the thermodynamics, those rings probably expand outward when blazing hot and may seal better then.

Thanks for the response guys, hoping I can save the $125 on the set of rings and springs. Will let you know if we have any issues. 👍🏼

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom