Help with Ring and pinion choice.. Wayne? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

HZJ60 Guy

Tank Buster
Threads
I have a 1987 HJ60 with a 1HZ non turbo engine in her. I bought some axles from Peter Straub some time ago. They have 5.29 ring and pinions in them. Im running 37" MTR's that measure around 36" tall. Im trying to decide on the proper gear set for the axles. Ive done all the math and need some help deciding on gears. Since Ive never driven a truck with this engine in it I dont know what to expect.

Here's what I have now with the 5.29's.

60mph = 2503 RPM

If I go with 4.56 gears here's what I'll get at highway speeds in 5th gear.

60mph = 2157 RPM
65mph = 2337
70mph = 2517

If I go with 4.11's this is what I'll get at highway speeds in 5th gear.

60mph = 1944 RPM
65mph = 2106
70mph = 2269

I plan on turbo'ing her fairly soon, bu it might be a little while. I'm leaning towards the 4.11's, but I just dont know the characteristics of that engine. Does it like to spin above what the RPM's will be with the 4.11's??? Thanks for the help.

Tom

Hi Tom.

5.29 will be fine, even the 4.88 would be a good choice. My Troopy goes all day at 2500 rpm no sweat.

If you put the 4.11 back in you will be down shifting to third on every hill.

I have 5.29:1 and 34 inch tires on the FJ75 and it is fine at 90 kph. But it sure drinks the fuel!

How fast do you normally drive? 60? Or 70 plus on the I5. it would be awefully annoying having it at 3k plus all the time on the highway I imagine.

I normally drive for fuel mileage. 60-70 mph. I'd rather not be screaming above 2500 rpm all the time. I rarely go above 70mph. What i dont know is whether 4.11's will be to "high" for the power and torque curve on that engine?

Tom

Bump. Also, do you have a preference between Man-a-Fre, Spectre, or Randys Ring and Pinion? The Specter's are the cheapest....

Hi Tom.

5.29 will be fine, even the 4.88 would be a good choice. My Troopy goes all day at 2500 rpm no sweat.

If you put the 4.11 back in you will be down shifting to third on every hill.

I have 5.29:1 and 34 inch tires on the FJ75 and it is fine at 90 kph. But it sure drinks the fuel!

i beg to differ there Dave, he stated he is going to turbo the engine which even with the 37s and 4.11s he will not be down shifting to 3rd on hills.
(unless of course you are going up the rogers pass or the Choqu...)the turbo'd HZ pulls great on hills.

I normally drive for fuel mileage. 60-70 mph. I'd rather not be screaming above 2500 rpm all the time. I rarely go above 70mph. What i dont know is whether 4.11's will be to "high" for the power and torque curve on that engine?

Tom

Tom,
what i would suggest is find an old set of 4.11 gears from someone that has a set laying around, take a day and bolt them into the rear and go for a drive (once it is turbo'd of course) and see what you feel you need.
the 5.29 are way over kill on a DD. the 4.88 will be a bit low, the 4.56 will be about right but the 4.11 from the factory are tougher and you can get the 4.56 3rd member complete from toyota for comparrable to the aftermarket gears and setting up charges...

It might pull well turbo'd but the 1HZ's I've driven in Guatemala were no rocketships and I'm comparing to my BJ60! I easily had more power than the 1HZ powered '80's. No idea on gearing in the '80's but I've still got 3.7's in my '60.

Are you planning on offroading the truck?
Because 5.29 is going to be what you want.

4.11's is going to be to be to fast in 1st/4low.
Even 4.56 will be a little to fast.
You will want 5.29's to finesses over things.
Otherwise you wil be hitting things way to fast, and will probably be swaping back soon.

Sorry, but I don't think you can have your cake and eat it too.
Something has to give. Crawl speed or highway speed.
You have built your truck up. Lift, diesel, beadlocks, etc.....
So why don't you keep your 5.29's?
Just take it easy on the highway.

If you "have" to regear, I would go 4.56
It would be the best compromise between highway and offroad.
But you are still going to be a hair fast offroad.
2150rpm at 60mph is fine, and about the same as a stock BJ60.

What transmission do you have? An H55?
If not that might solve both of your issues.
Better 1st and 5th gear

Cheers,
Nick

Tom,

I have 5.29s in my HJ61 and on 37s I find it is just to steep for highway driving. I would think in your situation 4.56 or 4.88 wwould be nice.

For myself, I would just want to be coming into the powerband cruising at 65 in 5th gear. This gives me lots of room on the go pedel if I want to pass somebody. If I am already revving at 2600 at 70 and I want to pass...I am screwed.

Are you planning on offroading the truck?
Because 5.29 is going to be what you want.

4.11's is going to be to be to fast in 1st/4low.
Even 4.56 will be a little to fast.
You will want 5.29's to finesses over things.
Otherwise you wil be hitting things way to fast, and will probably be swaping back soon.

Sorry, but I don't think you can have your cake and eat it too.
Something has to give. Crawl speed or highway speed.
You have built your truck up. Lift, diesel, beadlocks, etc.....
So why don't you keep your 5.29's?
Just take it easy on the highway.

If you "have" to regear, I would go 4.56
It would be the best compromise between highway and offroad.
But you are still going to be a hair fast offroad.
2150rpm at 60mph is fine, and about the same as a stock BJ60.

What transmission do you have? An H55?
If not that might solve both of your issues.
Better 1st and 5th gear

Cheers,
Nick

this totally depends on the TYPE of wheeling you do. if you are into rock crawling then the 5.29 are fine (i guess, i don't do rock crawling).
for most of the Canadian or "mountain areas" off roading then 5.29 are a waste. i have never needed more than 56-1 crawl for the wheeling around here. i have seen trucks with rediculious crawl ratio here but they never had any real "life" advantage...

this totally depends on the TYPE of wheeling you do. if you are into rock crawling then the 5.29 are fine (i guess, i don't do rock crawling).
for most of the Canadian or "mountain areas" off roading then 5.29 are a waste. i have never needed more than 56-1 crawl for the wheeling around here. i have seen trucks with rediculious crawl ratio here but they never had any real "life" advantage...

Hello Wayne,

I agree that 5.29's are somehwhat overkill. :)
I guess it depends on what he wants to do with it.
DD it, or weekend warrior, or both. I think the main idea here is between tires and R+P is getting back to about where stock is. A 4.56 would probably pretty close, and is probably the best compromise between speed and crawl speed.

The only reason I say to stick with the 5.29's is, he already has them and is cheaper. Plus with a non-turbo'ed engine the extra help might be nice. There are many times where have a lower ratio than stock is nice, and I don't think someone has to be a rock crawler to appriciate that. If he had a 33" tire 5.29 would be way to much, but with a 37" tire a 5.29 would be nice sometimes.

HZJ60 Guy has quite the built truck. If he plans to DD it on the freeway everyday, the 5.29 would probably be to high. A 4.56 might be the better choice. I think that would put him very close to stock. A 4.88 might also be an idea.

The more I think about it, the more I think the R+P depends on a few things:
-What he plans on using the truck for (DD or WW or both)
-How he wheels and where he goes
-What transmission (stick or auto)

Cheers,
Nick

Not trying to hijack, just a relevant question. Does Mark's 4wd make an overdrive gear for the transfer case or only the underdrive packages? Is an over/under setup possible? Theoretically, it seems a good solution to retaining the stronger ring and pinion gears and highway speeds and still retaining good low end gearing. Just wondering.

Hamberger has a 4runner that has the stock hi range gear in the t-case, and he replaced the low range gear with a 4:1 for a better crawl ratio. If you need good highway speed, and do a lot of crawling over rocks on the trail, this might be one way to do both with the right R&P.

Thank you all for your responces. Im not going to four wheel this thing. She's to pretty for that!!! She'll be my highway, logging road, drive to hiking trails truck. I have this for hard core four wheeling...... Boy, this is going to be tough. I might just go for 4.56.

picture.JPG

Tom:

My HZJ has 4:11s and a A440, and I'm running 33x10.5 BFG A/T's - I turn exactly 20 rpm/kmph. 100 km/hr = 2000 rpm, 120 km/hr = 2400 rpm...locked up in 4th..

IMHO, it's good on the flat, but just geared a little too tall for any significant hills - it was better with the 31's, and is totally wrong at altitudes over 3000ft. (I live right between the Cog and the Rogers Pass ref'd by Wayne)- the 4.11's will likely be perfect with a turbo and the 33's....

Aiming for 2200 rpm at 60 should be good if you stay NA, and I'd shoot for 2000 rpm at 60 if it will be turboed soon.

Thank you all for your responces. Im not going to four wheel this thing. She's to pretty for that!!! She'll be my highway, logging road, drive to hiking trails truck. I have this for hard core four wheeling...... Boy, this is going to be tough. I might just go for 4.56.

picture.JPG

i LOVE it, when can i go for a ride? bring it to this years river shiver!!

Id love to bring her Wayne. And she's got a 1984 2L in her too!

I sure would love to turbo charge her....

picture.JPG

Thanks Wayne. Hey, is it difficult to turbo a 2L? I have most of the parts from a 2LT, but just am not up to the task....

compare the bolt pattern of the 2L exhaust manfold with the one from the 2LT, if it matches then it will be a cake walk...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom