Help with Paint Solutions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am looking for some paint input! My paint is absolutely roasted by the AZ sunshine (that's the trade-off for having a rust free frame)!

I've tried to do wet sanding, cutting/ buffing, respraying clear, it has all turned out better than when I bought it but not to a point that I am pleased with my exterior appearance.

Next, I will do some prep work of filling the little door dings and stuff to give the new paint a good finish. I am just undecided on color. I will not be going as deep as door jambs ect but I will do all exterior surfaces.

The input I'd like is for paint color. I am thinking I will not do OEM because that paint is way too expensive, but I could find a similar green to this color. The drawback that I have there is that I don't love this green color, I'm more of a white/black/gray/silver kind of guy. But at the same time, I don't love vehicles with mismatched door jambs. What a pickle.

GIVE ME YOUR INPUT ON COLOR!
Close match to OEM green - gloss
Olive drab/army green - satin/matte
Similar to Cement gray - gloss
Black - satin

Any other suggestions or ideas that wouldn't make the door jambs stick out like yellow door jambs on a black painted car?

PS - a wrap is a potential in the future, but I'm just focused on painting at this time. Trying to not need to wrap.

Current Situation:

IMG_20181009_182109.jpg

IMG_20181115_153500.jpg

Repainting with the O.E. green will increase the value.
Repainting with anything other than that O.E. green will likely decrease the value - spending money to lose money.

My vote: Don't paint it with anything until you can paint it with the O.E. paint and color.

Repainting with the O.E. green will increase the value.
Repainting with anything other than that O.E. green will likely decrease the value - spending money to lose money.

My vote: Don't paint it with anything until you can paint it with the O.E. paint and color.

This is my vote as well.

That color green looks nice and is unique. I vote to try to match it as close as possible.

I'm more of a beater kind of guy. If there isn't rust showing - you already have enough paint! ; )

I had scratches and small dents (on two or our Hondas) repaired by a mobile auto detail company called Sameday Auto services. It was a bit spendy, but still less than a full paint job would be and the results were amazing. They Air brushed the affected areas and the paint match was great. I can't tell from your photos how widespread the problem with your paint is, so this may be poor advice, but it might be worth inquiring to see if it would be worthwhile.

I agree with the keeping it the stock color in terms of value, but this dark green is not my color. If I could go out and buy basically any other color, I would. That being said I'm in this truck for the long haul and I'm not in a position that I can just swap to a different truck. So I will make this into something that I am actually happy with.

I guess I was more looking any ideas that wouldn't make the door jambs stick out like a sore thumb. I feel like the cement grey would have that affect.

I'm more of a beater kind of guy. If there isn't rust showing - you already have enough paint! ; )
While I can appreciate the attitude and this truck definitely has (see build thread for before pics) and still does classify as a beater to some extent... I'm not a beater vehicle kind of dude. I've always taken care of my all of my vehicles and I want them to show that I do inside, outside, and under the hood.

I had scratches and small dents (on two or our Hondas) repaired by a mobile auto detail company called Sameday Auto services. It was a bit spendy, but still less than a full paint job would be and the results were amazing. They Air brushed the affected areas and the paint match was great. I can't tell from your photos how widespread the problem with your paint is, so this may be poor advice, but it might be worth inquiring to see if it would be worthwhile.
That is an option I've considered but I basically need paint work on every single panel.

Going to follow this thread because I'm in the same predicament. I, too, own an Imperial Jade Mica LC that's starting to show its age (it's a 99). Hoenstly, the green doesn't look that bad with some mods. Check out some pics that I've posted: The MUD 100 series Photos thread and The MUD 100 series Photos thread

With that said, I've been thinking of doing a wrap myself. I've been quoted $2800-3100 for a full wrap in Hexis Frozen Grey. Example on a BMW. I think that with some black accents, a 100 in satin grey could look fantastic.

Screen Shot 2018-12-22 at 1.58.56 AM.png

Last edited:
To do all the prep work to paint, which is key to good job. Why would you skimp on paint. Besides you'll just orders from auto paint suppliers based on color code, not Toyota/Lexus Steallership.

To do all the prep work to paint, which is key to good job. Why would you skimp on paint. Besides you'll just orders from auto paint suppliers based on color code, not Toyota/Lexus Steallership.
Not getting the exact OEM color code does not specifically mean skimping on paint. I still plan on using a quality paint.

My vote is to do what makes you happy as long as
you do it right with a quality product and don't try to cheap out.

On a side note, The Imperial Jade Mica is my favorite color for a LC with the navy blue being a close second. To each his own I guess.

Wrap it.

Shame you don’t care for the OE green color. I think it’s really lovely and not a color you see very often.

How about doing the jambs yourself. I bet you wouldn't be so careless as to spray your own seats with grey paint.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom