Help with noise diagnosis (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
The noise only appears when the wheel is turned to the driver's side (not at full lock). Sounds like it's coming from the front passenger side. The video shows it in reverse but I had it happen going forward earlier too. Just recently appeared and not sure what to look for.

I have not noticed the noise at speed either, only when going less than 10 mph. No recent suspension work

Last edited:
Does it occur for example when leaving a parking lot, wheels turned, accelerating in the turn to merge with traffic?? Is it worse (or do you hear/feel a rumble) first drive in the morning (cold vehicle). Any recent front end/brake/axle work? Has the complete front axle service been done, ever? Can you post up photos of the front axle, each end, where the swivel balls/steering knuckles are located.

Sounds to me like the front axle needs to be checked in detail.

Possibilities in the order of least expensive to most.

Drive flanges
U-Joints
Birfields
Wheel bearings and spindles.

Basically, you need a front end rebuild. Start gathering parts or searching for a shop to do the work.

Does it occur for example when leaving a parking lot, wheels turned, accelerating in the turn to merge with traffic?? Is it worse (or do you hear/feel a rumble) first drive in the morning (cold vehicle). Any recent front end/brake/axle work? Has the complete front axle service been done, ever? Can you post up photos of the front axle, each end, where the swivel balls/steering knuckles are located.

I've only heard it 3 times now. Once was turning into a parking lot (with a slight bump) at that same angle shown in the video. The other 2 times were reversing at the angle and speed shown in the video. Have not noticed when in cold. No recent front-end work. Front axle rebuild was completed by me a couple of years ago. I can go grab a few pictures.

Angled to where noise starts

1646686720795.png

1646686738359.png

1646686753035.png

1646686764743.png

I've only heard it 3 times now. Once was turning into a parking lot (with a slight bump) at that same angle shown in the video. The other 2 times were reversing at the angle and speed shown in the video. Have not noticed when in cold. No recent front-end work. Front axle rebuild was completed by me a couple of years ago. I can go grab a few pictures.
Also check the bolts on your brake calipers to make sure they have not fallen out and are binding against the interior of the wheels.

Rotational crunching noises that increase in amplification when more steering angle is applied is 99 times out of 100 an issue with the birfield(s). You need to check the grease level immediately and add a boatload if it doesn't readily ooze out when you open up the cap. When I rebuild my knuckles I dump damn near 3 tubes of molly in each side.

I've seen a tech (who is very good) at a reputable shop show me some manual that only recommended about 1 tube of grease per side. I have no idea where that came from but it's wrong.

Screenshot 2022-03-07 141627.jpg

Also check for any rubbing, shiny sheet metal or signs of rub going on in the wheel wells, suspension area, etc.

Rotational crunching noises that increase in amplification when more steering angle is applied is 99 times out of 100 an issue with the birfield(s). You need to check the grease level immediately and add a boatload if it doesn't readily ooze out when you open up the cap. When I rebuild my knuckles I dump damn near 3 tubes of molly in each side.

I've seen a tech (who is very good) at a reputable shop show me some manual that only recommended about 1 tube of grease per side. I have no idea where that came from but it's wrong.

View attachment 2945837

I just pumped some more in but don't have enough, will have to run to the store soon and pump more in. When I did the knuckle rebuild, I recall putting two tubes in each side.

Birfields do wear out over time. So it's possible they are just done :meh:

Either way looks like you got to at least open them up and see what's up.

I'll pick up more grease tomorrow to add and go from there. Curious though, if the noise persists, would it be worth it to try to swap sides and see if that helps or go with new ones?

I'll pick up more grease tomorrow to add and go from there. Curious though, if the noise persists, would it be worth it to try to swap sides and see if that helps or go with new ones?
As much noise as that's making, it's past swapping side to side.

If it was mine, I would invest in new units for both sides and prepare a front axle rebuild.

Adding grease may make it quieter, but it will not make the problem go away.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom