Help with MAF brackets and lift. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm on day two of installing my lift. I was expecting it to be much easier. We got the front springs and shocks in; that took some work. Now we're trying to get the MAF brackets in and it's not looking good. The brackets bolt to two of the bolt holes for the tranny cross-member. On each side, one those bolts on the cross-member snapped off. DOH! Not sure how I'm going to get them out, any suggestions?

I also intended to install the MAF poly spacers on top of my springs, but they didn't fit. The seat for the front springs has the cone in the middle with the bump stop coming from it. The spacer I got bottomed out on that cone about an inch and a half before hitting the spring seat. It wasn't like it was almost there and with the weight of the truck it would press up, it didn't seem close. Any ideas?

I will try to get some pictures up in the morning of my struggles.

The good news, the 1" body lift went smoothly.

If there are any local cruiser heads out there that want to help out, I'd be willing to pay for someone with experience at this. :D

I too spent the last 2+ days trying to get a lift installed (a mere 2" lift at that). Folks on the forums said it should take 4-5 hours. No way Jose.

You'll have to drill out those bolts. Not fun, but I had to learn this the hard way. If you know someone who's successfully done it before have them show you the first one, then drill out the other one yourself. Even if you bugger the threads a little, I think you'll still be OK.

Not sure on the spacers. Would love to know though since I will be adding them in the near future.

The spacer I got bottomed out on that cone about an inch and a half before hitting the spring seat. It wasn't like it was almost there and with the weight of the truck it would press up, it didn't seem close. Any ideas?

Take it around the block and hit some speed bumps hard and see what happens.

Is the broken bolt flush with the frame or does it stick up some.

Nothing loosens a bolt like a real torch, those suckers will come right out.

If it is sticking out, weld another bolt to it, the heat should loosen the bolt.

If it is flush or inside, hit it with a torch and center punch the middle, hit it with a reverse drill bit and it should come out. Make sure the punch is absolutely centered though.

Yeah, I'm not a real mechanic. I don't have a torch or a welder. I thinks it's just going to be a long day with a drill.

I install led the MAF poly spacers a couple of years ago to level the front and it doesn't seat completely. I remember reading it doesn't seat correctly with the ome springs.

I had no problems running it like that though. HTH

Take it around the block and hit some speed bumps hard and see what happens.

I ended up not using them because they wouldn't fit. To get the spring in there, I would have needed another 3-4 inches and it was already a tight fit.

This is how mine looks now

bbb18c1-albums-spacers-picture22538-img-20120527-120923.jpg

I used soap on my spacer to help seat them. Go get a propane torch or use map gass to heat up the bolt. The kits are under $20 in the plumbing section at lowes or home depot. I ended up using the torch on all the bolts to remove them when i lifted mine. It's a California truck also. Spray everything down with PB blaster. PM me if you want my phone number for some real time help.

This is how mine looks now

bbb18c1-albums-spacers-picture22538-img-20120527-120923.jpg

Mine would only go up about to where your second coil wrap is, maybe not even that high. When I say it wasn't close, I can't imagine it sliding up without cutting it.

Both of the bolts that broke off now have 1/8" holes drilled through them. My next step is to apply some heat. My buddy is bringing over his torch and an extractor kit. I hope it works. Until the heat gets here, they're soaking in PB Blaster.

I used soap on my spacer to help seat them. Go get a propane torch or use map gass to heat up the bolt. The kits are under $20 in the plumbing section at lowes or home depot. I ended up using the torch on all the bolts to remove them when i lifted mine. It's a California truck also. Spray everything down with PB blaster. PM me if you want my phone number for some real time help.

I started spraying twice a week with PB Blaster a couple of months before I started this job, but I still managed to break two bolts. The two that I broke are the two outer-most bolts on the transmission cross member. I've already drilled through them with a 1/4" bit and tried an extractor to no avail. I've heated, cooled, heated, cooled, and re-tried the extractor, and nothing happened. My next step is to drill them out a little bigger and re-tap the holes.

Can anyone confirm the number stamped on the MAF front spring spacers?

I install led the MAF poly spacers a couple of years ago to level the front and it doesn't seat completely. I remember reading it doesn't seat correctly with the ome springs.

I had no problems running it like that though. HTH

If it didn't seat correctly, then it yielded more than 30mm of space? It's just not making sense to me on why they would make them so they don't seat. I think I'll be calling them soon.

Yeah, I'm not a real mechanic. I don't have a torch or a welder. I thinks it's just going to be a long day with a drill.

find a set of left hand drill bits, make sure that you center it as best you can.

but....

You might also want to look at taking it in somewhere. I broke a shock bolt doing my lift, spent half a day drilling before I ran out of time. Dropped it off at a shop and it was fixed for less than $75.

^^ What he said. I don't remove any bolts on my 80 without taking a torch to it. I have snapped off too many and have learned the hard way. And when I reinstall bolts I use plenty of anti seize.

Drill out the bolt. My MAF spacers did the same thing. I installed my MAF spacers by removing the whole bump stop assembly, and cleaning the cone with soap and fine grit sandpaper. Then i Lubed up the spacers (I used silicone spray) and tapped then into place with a hammer and a wooden dowel. Tapping in a clockwise pattern. Worked like a charm. First time installing a lift took me a whole day, by myself. Now I can swap out all four coils and shocks in about 2hours.

I might give it another try, but after doing it once, I don't think I can get the springs out and back in under 15 hrs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom