Help with Latch Parts ID Please (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I built a homemade swing arm bumper for my 80 a while back and a friend who restored 40's talked me into using a latch system from an older Toyota. I am only guessing it came from a 40 series. The latch has preformed flawlessly over the many past off-roading years and am grateful for his advice. Now, I have recently bought a 100 series and want to build another swing arm bumper. I was hoping one of you fine Mudders would help me out by identifying the latch parts I used so that I can stick with a proven system. The three parts are the latch itself, the curled part that the latch grabs, and the rubber receiver part that holds it all. Here are the pics. Thanks for any help y'all can give me.
IMG_0700.jpeg
IMG_0702.jpeg
IMG_0701.jpeg

That's off a tube style spare tire carrier from a FJ40.

Thanks for the quick reply. I can find the hook and the "holder". But I don't see the actual latch anywhere. Anyone have an idea about the latch, and if it is still available? ( I was using ToyotaPartsdeal web site.

Part Description
Price
Qty.
Subtotal
  • part Img

Part No.: 51929-90300HOLDER, SPEAR WHEELRemove
    $54.26

• $54.26
  • part Img

Part No.: 51926-90301HOOK, SPARE WHEEL CARemove
    $14.76
$14.76

That is not the correct hook for that latch. That is the early to 76 model style. Tube carrier started with the 77 model. Toyota calls the latch a lock part number is 51930-90300 which looks to be NLA. The hook/catch is 51926-90301 and still available. The bumper is 51929-90300 also available. Would check with a dealer and say you have a 78 FJ40.to.verify what your ordering.

Last edited:
That is not the correct hook for that latch. That is the early to 76 model style. Tube carrier started with the 87 model. Toyota calls the latch a lock part number is 51930-90300 which looks to be NLA. The hook/catch is 51926-90301 and still available.
87 model????? I think you transposed your #'s.

Thank you for y'alls help. So it's now only made out of unobtainium. I have put in an email to Cruiserparts to see about a used one. Any other vendor that y'all could steer me towards to see if I can find a used one?

Put a want ad in the classified section.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom