Help with heater control lever. Does this look right? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Can anyone help me with how the heater/vent/def controls are supposed to work? When I got my 40 the lever had the pointed part faced towards the back and never switched everything right. I looked up some pictures online and it appeared that mine was on backwards, as they showed the pointed side towards the front. I flipped it around (as the pic shows now) and it still isn't working right. The actual levers move freely and aren't frozen up or anything. Also, some of the pics I found online didn't have the middle slot that controls the bottom vent flap. I'm guessing the bottom flap closes off when you select defrost? Any help with how this is supposed to look and work would be much appreciated. Mine is a '75 model by the way if that helps with a solution.

Look like you have it right. Is the bushing for the slot there? If not and/or the door springs are weak or missing it won't work right.

Look like you have it right. Is the bushing for the slot there? If not and/or the door springs are weak or missing it won't work right.

I didn't see any bushings. It's just the metal posts that come out of the heater unit and the flat metal lever piece that moves them all. There was one of those star looking lock washers and a flat washer holding the flat lever/handle thing on the top post, but the middle and bottom weren't attached with anything. They were just hanging. I've looked in my Chilton's book, but couldn't find an exploded view of what everything was supposed to look like and what pieces might be missing. Any help with pics of what it should look like, or where to buy the missing pieces would be much appreciated. It's starting to get cold here and I want this thing to work right!

I didn't see any bushings. It's just the metal posts that come out of the heater unit and the flat metal lever piece that moves them all. There was one of those star looking lock washers and a flat washer holding the flat lever/handle thing on the top post, but the middle and bottom weren't attached with anything. They were just hanging. I've looked in my Chilton's book, but couldn't find an exploded view of what everything was supposed to look like and what pieces might be missing. Any help with pics of what it should look like, or where to buy the missing pieces would be much appreciated. It's starting to get cold here and I want this thing to work right!

I got all the pieces required for heater resto at www.metrictlc.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom