Help with headlights (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Okay so I just bought and installed new headlights (stock). I started with the driver side low beam then driver side high beam. Next I moved to the passenger side and did the low beam first. It should be noted that after I installed each headlight I would turn on the headlights and then the brights in order to check my work. I finished with the passenger side high beam and went to check my work. I flipped on the lights and nothing turned on. I tried the hihg beans and nothing as well. I'm thinking it may be a fuse problem but the outermost lights on either side are still turning on. I don't know much about wiring and am not sure if this could be the issue, however I did not play with any wires. What seemed like a plug and play job has turned out to be a little more frustrating than I thought it would be. Any help is much appreciated. Thank you in advance!

Check the fuses again.

3E23703D-5607-4E3A-B7A7-1D1A7D343363.jpeg

Fuses good. Standard lights working. When flipping on brights, all lights turn off. Any ideas?

Last edited:
Actually may have found my problem. I'm running a 25 in head rh and a 15 in head lh. Would this cause a problem?

Also check the contacts in the stalk at steering column, I would reserve that as a later check, first get 15a fuses in both HL fuse locations.

Also check the contacts in the stalk at steering column, I would reserve that as a later check, first get 15a fuses in both HL fuse locations.
Okay new fuses are in and working. Now when I turn on the regular lights they turn on. When I pull the brights toward me they turn on but if I push it toward the front of the car (to leave them on) all the head lights turn off

If the new bulbs are higher wattage than what was in there and a new headlight wiring harness wasn’t installed — that might be the straw that broke the camel’s back.

Okay new fuses are in and working. Now when I turn on the regular lights they turn on. When I pull the brights toward me they turn on but if I push it toward the front of the car (to leave them on) all the head lights turn off
I believe you have the 62? Four eyes not two round ones? OSS knows these rigs very well, he is probably right about the harness not being capable.

Do you have the FSM (factory service manual)? on page BE-10 it shows the location of relays and on page BE-16 it shows how to test the relay.

The relay is located under the dash, above left knee in driver's side, (the FSM shows the right hand drive schematic) it is a square box with prongs that plugs into the board with the other relays. Be sure the lights are off and key is out, I haven't got an online FSM to near me right now.

I believe you have the 62? Four eyes not two round ones? OSS knows these rigs very well, he is probably right about the harness not being capable.

Do you have the FSM (factory service manual)? on page BE-10 it shows the location of relays and on page BE-16 it shows how to test the relay.

The relay is located under the dash, above left knee in driver's side, (the FSM shows the right hand drive schematic) it is a square box with prongs that plugs into the board with the other relays. Be sure the lights are off and key is out, I haven't got an online FSM to near me right now.

Okay awesome! Thank you both for the help. I really appreciate it. I ended up taking the steering wheel off and cleaning the switch and got it working. There was a ton of gunk messing with the connection.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom