Help with headlight loom (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Gday guys, I have had enough of random headlight issues with my hj61 ever since I bought it, so have decided to make up a new loom (just for the outer high/low H4 globes at this stage), but am unsure of the correct way to wire it into the existing circuit.... I have spent the last couple of days confusing myself even further by looking on Google, and reading plenty of methods that supposedly work - until someone comments that it is incorrect... I am hoping that someone here can give me a bit of help with getting it done correctly...
I am intending on using 2 x relays - 1 for the high beam and one for the low beam. Both fused to the battery. I have used 6mm wire to go from the high beam pin on the globe to the high beam relay (pin 87), 6mm wire for the common pin on the globe to negative on the battery, and 5mm wire from the low beam pin on the globe to the low beam relay (pin 87).
The battery + via a fuse to pin 30 on each relay.
Now for the switching.... this is where my knowledge gets all confused!!
Can I put a male plug into the existing headlight loom and for the high beam run wires from the common and high plugs to pins 85 and 86 on the high beam relay, and for low go from the common and low beam to pins 85 and 86 on the low beam relay???
Here are a couple of pics of what I have so far, but any guidance would be greatly appreciated!!
IMG_4281.JPG
IMG_4282.JPG

Well, so far I have a 100% failure rate with trying to get this to work!!... I have read every thread I can find, and tried numerous wiring combinations (a lot of the time to then find that the diagram is wrong and has been updated - but then removed...)
So, does anyone have a correct wiring diagram that works for a hj61 4 headlight Landcruiser?
I am only wanting to do the outer high / low h4 beams as I already have the inners converted to HID and working off the spotlight circuit...
Any help would be greatly appreciated - before I give up on this!!
Thanks
Drew

found this photo while searching the google but its actually from an Ih8mud thread somewhere:

https://forum.ih8mud.com/attachments/h4-realy-wiring-jpg.24973/

Basically what you are trying to do is run newer heavier wire to your high/low outers. You could simply remove the wires from the factory relays to the lamps and install new ones. Or you could put in some new higher amperage rated relays with new wiring and simply wire the hi/low headlight switch wiring to the new relays and install your new wires from there. FYI a 100 watt bulb will draw about 8.5 amps so if you are running 2 relays 1 for low and 1 for high you are going to want a 20 amp relay for the highs in case you are running 2 100 watt bulbs

h4-realy-wiring-jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom