1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HELP with H55F/split xfer case

Discussion in '60-Series Wagons' started by bryancald, Mar 4, 2007.

1. bryancald

bryancald

I just replaced the rear cover gasket on a split xfer case. I went to test drive it, and I can't change gears on the tranny, it's just stuck in reverse. The transfer case changes between H2, H4, and L4 smoothly. It looks like it's centered in the shift pattern, but is in reverse.

I didn't need to unbolt the xfer case from the tranny, and am wondering if something moved during re-assmebly.

If anyone has any ideas, please toss them my way.

Thanks

Last edited: Mar 5, 2007
  2. Japan4X4

Japan4X4

Did you pull the tranny shifter? If so check that the nose is in the right spot.

3. bryancald

bryancald

The tranny shifter, being the actual shift lever? By being in the correct sopt, do you mean, is the plastic bushing on the end on the shift rod in the hole of the selector rod? If so, yes.

4. DaveWest5150

DaveWest5150

try lifting up on the shifter when triing to change gears... if that helps, you need to replace the ring under the shifter...(cheap and easy fix) Last time I checked they were about 5.00 dollars

5. bryancald

bryancald

It feels like the gear selector shaft doesn't want to move. The transmission was not opened at all. Is there something in particular that would cause this?

6. DaveWest5150

DaveWest5150

When that "ring" wears out it starts to get a little "notchy" then one day the shifter will get stuck, try lifting the shifter lever sraight up and see if it will move...

7. EP60

EP60

Sometimes when I tranny gets moved around it might be stuck in between gears. All I did was take my lever off and stick a screwdriver down in there and moved some things around and it went right in. I thought I had a faulty tranny but that's all it was.

8. soggy60

soggy60

Did you lower tranny w/ xfer attached a bit to get some clearance to remove rear half of xfer case ? When tranny (w/ xfer attached) returned to where it belongs, maybe something got in the way & has jammed tween the 5th gear shift linkage & shifter mechanism. You know, like a rag or something...any wrenches un accounted for ? :)

Maybe there's something at the 'floorboard' level interfereing with the shifter
    (have ya removed boot and looked through hole in tranny hump - floorboard ? )

9. bryancald

bryancald

I did remove the whole tranny/xfer (replaced the rear main seal as part of the job). The idler shaft was distured a bit when removing the cover, but I'm pretty sure I reset it correctly. I have the hump cover removed, and you can clearly see the gear selector rod. It just won't move, I moved it into 4L and 4H to try to get the gears to move around.....nothing.

The only other clue I could give is that the shifter, although in reverse, seems to be in the neutral position.

10. dd113

dd113

Try to leave it in gear and rotate the tranny by spinning the starter. You might have too much tension on the tranny for it to move into gear.

I bet the shifter fork is not in correctly.

11. bryancald

bryancald

DD113 I will try your suggestion. Are you calling the shift fork, the clutch release fork, or something internal to the xfer or trans?

I did drive it up the street in reverse, and the clutch engages/disengages smoothly......WTF?

12. DaveWest5150

DaveWest5150

After re-reading your post ..sounds like you have the shifter in wrong.
    Take the shifter out(of the trans) and using a large screw driver slide the two rails to the rear of the trans,(make sure the two rails line up[] <- like this,then make sure the wite cap on the shifter lever drops in the open slot.

13. bryancald

bryancald

Thanks davewest, I'll try that tonight!

14. bryancald

bryancald

Well I just tried to move the shift rod, it will rotate right, but not left. It also refuses to slide forward or backward.

I can see the shift rod front and center. I can also see a smaller rod on either side of the shift rod.

I can't see anything that might move. I have the hump access plate removed.
    Is it possible to remove the shift nose while installed in the truck?

Thanks for the help.....I am very frustrated!

15. DaveWest5150

DaveWest5150

We are talking about the transmission...right?
    have you removed the shifter lever from the truck?
    what are the smaller rod on either sid of the shift rod?
    when/if you have the shifter lever removed from the truck does it have a little white plastic cup at the bottom?
    Remember if you are tring to move the shift rails in the trans, to have the e-brake on, or have the wheels chocked and the pressure off of the drivetrain.

16. bryancald

bryancald

Yes, the tranny, but the H55F (not sure if the 4sp looks the same near the shift nose). The shift rod does have the "cup" for the end of the shifter with the white cup. So far I haven't been able to move it. I have tried taking the load off of the drivetrain and putting a screw driver in there. It was dark and I was holding a flash light in my mouth, so it wasn't the best conditions. I will try today when I get home.

The two smaller rods I was refering to are (i think, according to SOR's exploded view of the H55F) the reverse rod and the 5th gear rod.

I will try to take some pictures today, to show the position of the shift rod.

17. GulfShoresFJ60

GulfShoresFJ60

If you are really adventurous you can take to top cover off and look inside. There is a kind of swinging gear that engages reverse. Something might have happened when you removed the transmission and this got put into the reverse mode and when you reinstalled the shifter the shifter would not allow it to come out of reverse. This might be s stretch but I am just trying to thing of something that would cause it to only be in reverse and not able to shift into another gear.

Now if you are really really adventurous you can take the top cover off and manually shift the gears (with the engine off and parking brake on of course) to understand the transmission and maybe find the problem.

18. DaveWest5150

DaveWest5150

19. roscoFJ73

roscoFJ73

Media:
    Albums:
    I had this problem on a H55f that was in my shed for a while. I had it standing upright for a while and when it was put back on the horizontal it wouldn't change gear.
    I took the top cover off and fiddled around with it. I think it was the lever that gulfshore60 mentioned

20. bryancald

bryancald

Hey Rosco,

That's my situation.....when I replaced the gasket, I had the trans/xfer assy attached to the AA bell housing so that I could work on the cover in a vertical orientation.

I really appreciate the advice guys, and I'm hoping this is the cause. I am going to really work on it tomorrow morning, when I have daylight.

Fingers crossed....