Help with gozzard tub installation (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I dug the body out of the snow drifts and had a buddy help me place it on the frame. Its very exciting seeing it in place, gives alot of drive. First time this project has resembled a truck in 2 years.
20220128_165920.jpg

Looks a lot like mine when I started. You have a late model tub. Fuel tank under the tub.
On the cowl. You will need to cut out slots for the defrost vents if you are going to put it in. If you still have the old tub, cut the defrost tubes out of the old cowl. Just take your time and re-measure everything.

Take a close look at this picture. These are the specialty tools that will make a world of difference. You can include wellnuts to the list. Mike will tell you the cross member should be "bedded" and bolted onto the bottom of the tub. My cross member includes provisions for being able to mount the rear seat bolts, the safety belts, and the gas tank to it. Get rid of those plywood body mounts, you can fabricate something better. Make sure you keep that other tub and start transfering one item at a time. Also keep your original instrument panel / dash and use that instead of the fiberglass one.....you will thank me later.

20220129_090525.jpg

Take a close look at this picture. These are the specialty tools that will make a world of difference. You can include wellnuts to the list. Mike will tell you the cross member should be "bedded" and bolted onto the bottom of the tub. My cross member includes provisions for being able to mount the rear seat bolts, the safety belts, and the gas tank to it. Get rid of those plywood body mounts, you can fabricate something better. Make sure you keep that other tub and start transfering one item at a time. Also keep your original instrument panel / dash and use that instead of the fiberglass one.....you will thank me later.

View attachment 2908441
Okay, so I will keep my metal dash and put it on the fiberglass body.
I have that nutsert tool, and that pneumatic file is a dream tool, so handy.
What thickness is the steel cradle you have there? 1/4"?

I'm not too sure what to do about the alignment of the body to the fenders. Both fenders are inset considerably from the tub. Probably 1/2"
There is no play in the bolts to adjust. And I'm not sure if the hood will fit with how wide the vent panels are.

I could shave the firewall and pull in the panels with the kick vents to match the fenders. But then it won't line up at all with the piece that crosses over the firewall.

Any suggestions on how to move forward?

20220210_203450.jpg

20220210_225429.jpg

Last edited:
I'm not too sure what to do about the alignment of the body to the fenders. Both fenders are inset considerably from the tub. Probably 1/2"
There is no play in the bolts to adjust. And I'm not sure if the hood will fit with how wide the vent panels are.

I could shave the firewall and pull in the panels with the kick vents to match the fenders. But then it won't line up at all with the piece that crosses over the firewall.

Any suggestions on how to move forward?

View attachment 2921226
View attachment 2921230
I can't really help you on the alignment issues, but I would strongly suggest a heat shield to protect the fiberglass body from the exhaust.

Maybe early on it would be easier than when you start getting things bolted down.

Something with an air gap on both sides would do a lot to protect that glass.

Mike

Are the kick vent panels wider than than your original tub? From the pict they are but could the fenders may have been sprung by their mounts? Are the kick panels leaving the A pillars at the correct angle?

For hood fitment measure and compare cowl width.

Hopefully you did hold onto your old tub, so just take some measurements to confirm exactly what is difference is, then decide how to fix it allowing you to proceed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom