Help with frame rust, repair (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Need some advice on a hole that I found on my frame. Gotta love rust belt trucks :frown:
I took it to a local body shop who dug into it and ultimately decided against welding to repair it. Apparently the previous owner attempted past repairs with epoxy. The shop’s suggesting I find a new frame or portion of the frame to replace it.

Does this look like it would do it?

I’m lost on what can or can’t be fixed on frames, any advice?

4C18199E-89F4-41CC-8518-9049F3D0CB5F.jpeg

Super common place to rust out, even on perfect examples. That’s easily repaired with a small steel patch, a welder or a buddy with a welder, grinder, and 6er of your preferred beverage. Couple hours tops, including beer breaks.

Edit: for what it’s worth, my current rust situations make your truck look pristine. This is far from a horrible situation. Post more pics of the frame for a bit more context of what the rest of the truck looks like.

Super common place to rust out, even on perfect examples. That’s easily repaired with a small steel patch, a welder or a buddy with a welder, grinder, and 6er of your preferred beverage. Couple hours tops, including beer breaks.

Edit: for what it’s worth, my current rust situations make your truck look pristine. This is far from a horrible situation. Post more pics of the frame for a bit more context of what the rest of the truck looks like.
Thank you, this makes me feel a lot better!

Here’s a picture of my project truck. Just installed Ironman shocks and OME springs. Haven’t had a chance to do the torsion bars, 99% of my time is maintenance! I’m surprised how smooth the nitro Ironman shocks are, I was a little worried they’d ride like… off-road shocks.

AB1C120D-DA0A-4C28-B501-0657AA4A9CE1.jpeg

you don't need a body shop to repair that area.
you need to go to a metal fabrication shop or welding shop to have it repaired

Brought mine in for once over and first checkup
Yesterday
They got it on lift and I quote “not great news for you there are quite a few rust holes through the rear of frame - I’d like you to come to shop to see what I’m seeing.”

I mean I knew there’d be rust- it’s an 88 - so I’m not surprised- it’s a labor of love - but not sure if guy is an alarmist? I prefer solution approach.

Haven’t been over there yet so see it but will take pix to post
Worst case ? New frame needed $$$$ - or I have to part it out? 😓. Best case ? Welded repairs? And Frankenstein truck to get a couple years ?

Brought mine in for once over and first checkup
Yesterday
They got it on lift and I quote “not great news for you there are quite a few rust holes through the rear of frame - I’d like you to come to shop to see what I’m seeing.”

I mean I knew there’d be rust- it’s an 88 - so I’m not surprised- it’s a labor of love - but not sure if guy is an alarmist? I prefer solution approach.

Haven’t been over there yet so see it but will take pix to post
Worst case ? New frame needed $$$$ - or I have to part it out? 😓. Best case ? Welded repairs? And Frankenstein truck to get a couple years ?

when you get the pics, post them in the 60 tech section,
this is the 100 tech section and the frames are different animals

Harpersferry100, I have rust in the same area. I'm yet to address it, but as long as it hasn't rounded the bend, my plan is to weld sheet metal there. The eBay link in this thread is for a full rear frame section that I believe would need to be welded on too. (correct me if I'm wrong there, but a bolt-together frame seems strange). So its better to weld a small thing than a big thing.

P.S. my first thought when seeing the underside of your rig was "wow, that's shiny" so IMO your frame is in good shape. A little love and it'll be good as new!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom