Help with first start (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

airon23

SILVER Star
Threads
Hey guys glad to see you all had a good time on the outing yesterday, sorry I couldn't make it. Not sure if anyone lurks on the 40 Tech forum lately, but I posted something about how I was struggling with getting my 40 started. As I'm sure I will continue to struggle somewhat, I figured I would reach out to local guys here to see if anyone has the expertise that I lack. Honestly it isn't hard to surpass my level of expertise.
Anyway you can see some of my struggles here as far as the current state of things. If any of you has some time on their hands enough to lend a hand with this it would be most appreciated. I'm all the way out in Wingfield in Sparks so could be a bit of a drive so no worries if availability is difficult. I have the FSM and a bunch of good advice so far. You can text me also at 775-232-8298 if you prefer.

Sounded like it wasn't even trying fire up. You confirmed fuel in the carb and a STRONG spark at the plugs? Pop the top off the distributor and make sure all the internals are working. Sometimes in the excitement of first start small things are missed. Make sure the coil wire is fully seated and the coil is grounded. You may have to play with timing a bit and carb adjustments to get first fire too.

Gotta give a big thank you to Mike Dillon (sorry not sure of his mud name)! You are the man! He came by my house and helped find the timing on the bell housing then adjust the distributor to where this thing fired right up. That man is a wizard. So the other issue we noticed was this thing that the rocker rail or whatever it is called wasn't spitting out any oil. Not sure why this might be but I will need to figure that part out next before I can feel comfortable about taking her on her maiden voyage. I posted a video update on the original thread if you want to check it out.
Thanks again Mike for helping me out!

Gotta give a big thank you to Mike Dillon (sorry not sure of his mud name)! You are the man! He came by my house and helped find the timing on the bell housing then adjust the distributor to where this thing fired right up. That man is a wizard. So the other issue we noticed was this thing that the rocker rail or whatever it is called wasn't spitting out any oil. Not sure why this might be but I will need to figure that part out next before I can feel comfortable about taking her on her maiden voyage. I posted a video update on the original thread if you want to check it out.
Thanks again Mike for helping me out!
I think that if they are not spitting oil it is one of two things... either A.) the oil pump is not working properly, or B.) the head gasket is on backwards and blocking the galley holes that would supply oil up the rockers to the head. I could be wrong but doesn't oil also come up the rods to the tappets? Definitely a question for the 2F gurus like @FJ40Jim ....

if that is the case, then can I simply pull the head off and flip it? do I need to have a new gasket? I'm a little bummed by this news, but not the end of the world I guess. I did think I was good at making sure to place it in the right orientation, but I could have messed up, it was my first time so I'm no expert.

if that is the case, then can I simply pull the head off and flip it? do I need to have a new gasket? I'm a little bummed by this news, but not the end of the world I guess. I did think I was good at making sure to place it in the right orientation, but I could have messed up, it was my first time so I'm no expert.
Well I am not sure what version of the 2F you have and if the HG is different but I know for a fact is has an "orientation" tab... This tab is either at the front of the engine or the rear, that is what I can't remember from doing mine in my 60 (wanna say to the rear. If done backwards (which is easy) it blocks the oil galley holes and thus no oil gets to the top. Thing is that the HG should probably be replaced just to ensure there was no damage IF THAT IS THE CASE and the orientation is incorrect.

That makes sense and here's a picture where you can barely see it but the tab is toward the rear.
15978074308677032365591743124526.jpg

At this point I think I'm ok with the head gasket. I believe it is more to do with priming the oil pump given how I removed everything there's probably air built up in there. That's just my guess so now I gotta pull the distributor again. Crap am I going to have the same problem as before?

You can manually oil the rockers and let it idle to work oil up to the top but it shouldn't take too long. Only takes a minute to pull the distributor. Just make some alignment marks, photo the rotor position and the marks with your phone and pop it out. You should have at least 30-40 psi of oil pressure too. If you don't, you left out a galley plug or the pump isn't working right.

Did you ever get this ironed out?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom