help with fastener ID in tub of 6/77 FJ-40 (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

swelltimes

SILVER Star
Threads
While stripping my truck down to prep for paint, I've come across some screws and bolts on the driver's side of the tub.

First up: two sets of two small screws each, below where the jump seat goes (wheel arch), and close to the exterior wall of the tub.

Secondly: two bolts at the rear corner of driver's side tub, below mounting point for lower amby door hinge. 12mm head, so M8 I think.

Any ideas?

IMG_5654 Large.jpeg

IMG_5655 Large.jpeg

IMG_5652 Large.jpeg
IMG_5654 Large.jpeg
IMG_5655 Large.jpeg
IMG_5652 Large.jpeg

If you have the bracket for the jack handle on the other wheel well the small ones most likely are for the rod used to turn the engine which was dropped from the US when the FJ40 started. This can be found on many US imported FJ40s. The one in the rear corner could be for soft bow bracket. Should be one on the opposite side in the same location. My 10/75 has these. Certain things used for the soft were phased out in the last half of the seventies. Not sure the holes with fixed nuts for the soft top windshield channel ever went away. Just blank holes without fixed nuts. Have a spare windshield I believe is off either a 82 or 83 with the blank holes.

If you have the bracket for the jack handle on the other wheel well the small ones most likely are for the rod used to turn the engine which was dropped from the US when the FJ40 started. This can be found on many US imported FJ40s. The one in the rear corner could be for soft bow bracket. Should be one on the opposite side in the same location. My 10/75 has these. Certain things used for the soft were phased out in the last half of the seventies. Not sure the holes with fixed nuts for the soft top windshield channel ever went away. Just blank holes without fixed nuts. Have a spare windshield I believe is off either a 82 or 83 with the blank holes.
Good thoughts, thanks.

There was some hardware for the jack handle on the other side wheel arch.

This truck is revealing more (confusing) secrets as I strip the paint down. On the windshield, I do NOT have the bolt holes at the top of the frame that mates with the top cap, but I bet I'll find they are covered in Bondo as I strip layers away.

Drives side small, like #8 screw pairs, should be 3 pairs, 2 on the fender well and 2 behind the drivers seat….were for Rest of World (not US) model engine Hand Crank. The passenger side rear fender well, pre 70’s had 4 clips, 2 screws each, for the Jack Extension Rod sections.

All the third clip screws I have are on the floor except the FJ25 that was on the side of the tub. On the side of the wheel well the angle wouldn't line up with rod which is two 90° bends. Would require a more complicated clip. While the US didn't get the 1/79+ jack.holder with the clip attached that is where the third clip was on markets with the rod.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom