Help with electrical situation - no gauges, no blower motor (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Need some help with my 88 FJ62. Have some strange electrical issues after replacing my AC compressor. None of my gauges work including the tach. The gauge lights function but not the gauges themselves. The blower motor does not work and the Charge fuse blows immediately after I start it.

I thought that maybe I had messed up a fusible link so I pulled them all apart, cleaned them, and verified they were not blown with my meter.

Do these circuits share a common ground or is there something that is common that causes this?

I appreciate any help and direction you can give.

If everything worked fine before replacing the compressor, backtrack carefully what you did or could have accidentally done. Unplug the magnetic clutch plug wire from the compressor to help troubleshoot. Check all fuses.
Yes, many accessories ultimately terminate at a common grounding junction. If that gets compromised, many things sharing that ground will suddenly go bonkers.

OSS - I've done all that except disconnect the AC clutch. I'll try that and see. I thought I may have messed up one of the fusible links in the process - that's why I checked and cleaned those. I'm thinking a ground issue is a possibility. I have not checked out any of the dash grounds yet either so that may be my next step

@FJACS might be on to something...

Did you mess with this ground connection? Under the compressor.

image.jpeg

Hmmmm - don't remember removing that ground but it's certainly possible. I'll check that out too. Thanks for the help!

After you check the large ground wire that mounts under the compressor, check your heater circuit breaker top right of the fuse box. When starting an A/C for the first time it is possible to trip the heater CB. You can pull it out and reset it with a finishing nail. If it is going to trip again it will usually be with the a/c on and the fan on high. This only explains the blower motor and a/c switch losing power. The tach, other gauges and charge fuse most likely share a circuit with the ignition. A black w/yellow stripe wire is the power line from the ignition and powers a lot of gauges behind the dash. Look behind the drivers kick panel. Take the front screw out that hold the relay mount. The slide it forward to remove the front section. Now you can drop it down to look at the wiring to the fuses. Also check the C grounds junction while down there. They are white w/black stripe all coming together to a metal piece the size of a tic tac box. Then follow the largest wire to the grounding point above and behind the fuse box at the bottom of the A post.

where is the air filter warning switch on a 60?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom