Help with drivers side, rear wheel noise- 93 FZJ (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a noise coming from the DS rear wheel that I'm trying to diagnose on my 93 FZJ. I've searched a ton of threads and have a few leads, but would like a few opinions before I tear into it again. I don't want to just start throwing parts at.

History- I replaced the rear pads (NAPA) about 1K miles ago. I pulled into work one morning and they were screeching pretty bad. After the pad replacement I would get occasional braking noise but nothing significant. Fast forward a year and approx 1K miles.

I was gone most of last year and unfortunately the truck sat a lot. My wife occasionally drove it around the neighborhood but that's about it. Since I have been home I have a constant noise that is somewhat annoying and a little embarrassing. The best I can describe it is "snow" on a tv, you know back in the day when you woke up in the middle of the night and nothing was on tv so it was just- snow. It's not too loud, and I don't notice with windows up and though it may still be there I cannot hear it above 35-40MPH because of other road noise. It is constant, and does not change or go away when braking. Braking seems pretty normal with no real pulling, vibrations, etc. I thought maybe it was the parking brake but I can apply the brake all the way to a complete stop and it does not change the sound. I thought it could be the slide bolts on caliper so I took everything off, cleaned, lubed and reinstalled with no change. Rotor probably could be replaced but, nothing crazy there. Pads looked good. I probably should have removed the disc / drum and checked the inside of parking brake but didn't. The wheel bearings are tight with no preceptable movement on DS and a very slight movement on PS. One odd thing I did notice is if I clock the DS rear wheel forward there is a ping that rings the driveshaft like a bell. I thought this could be a bad u-joint, but the noise I'm getting seems to roughly match tire speed and not driveline.

Here is what I plan to check this weekend. If you can think of anything else please let me know.
- pull brakes and check for a frozen piston or bad brake line
- pull rotor disc / drum and inspect parking brake assembly
- service u joints to see if there is any change. Replace if necessary.
- inspect / re-pack wheel bearing. Replace if necessary.

Thanks for the help!

No, it stays exactly the same. I tested it a few times from 10-15 MPH, until completely stopped. The noise didn't change, or stop until the tires did.

Just as a test to eliminate sources of your noise try this. When you have your rear caliper, and rotor off, tie the caliper up out of the way. Then start your truck up, and shift it into gear to see if the noise shows up with the rotor and caliper out of the way. If it does, then you know your problem is in the hub, and you'll have to dig deeper, if not, then you know it's in the parking brake, caliper, or brake pad anti rattle clips.

Was there any solution ever fount to this noise? Im hearing the same thing, but assumed it was time for new pads. Before I go tearing things apart what did you figure out as a solution?
Thanks in advance!

Was there any solution ever fount to this noise? Im hearing the same thing, but assumed it was time for new pads. Before I go tearing things apart what did you figure out as a solution?
Thanks in advance!

Does the noise change if the p-brake is pulled?

I had a very similar noise. I was convinced it was a bad bearing, but in the process of tearing down the rear axel, i happened to notice a hairline groove inside my wheel. I looked for a corresponding groove making thing. And it was p-brake the dog leg pin bent funky and rubbing on the inside of the wheel. (too bad I already had the axle pulled apart.)
4FC46F01-5238-45F7-9BB2-05FA227A160F.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom