Help with decision on this LX470 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey all. Thinking of flying out tomorrow to look at this LX. Dealer told my that Auto Hyd lift deleted and 4 inch lift added, with EMU torsion bars and ironman shocks. Also said that the power steering has to initialize for a few seconds after starting to be able to steer correctly. Not sure about that comment, why I am contemplating looking at it myself before purchasing. Anyone have experience with the drivability of a lifted LX with 35s on 20 in wheels?
Big Mac

** Email removed.....NEVER post your email online

2005 LX470 Lifted.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome. Check these threads out and be sure to use the search feature at the top right.

Other than the tacky wheels, it's a clean looking truck topside. You'll want to confirm the condition of the undercarriage. Maintenance records are a big deal with these (as with any older vehicle).

Welcome. Check these threads out and be sure to use the search feature at the top right.

Other than the tacky wheels, it's a clean looking truck topside. You'll want to confirm the condition of the undercarriage. Maintenance records are a big deal with these (as with any older vehicle).
Gotcha. Yah, not that happy about the wheels, but might suit my purposes.
Big Mac

Hey all. Thinking of flying out tomorrow to look at this LX. Dealer told my that Auto Hyd lift deleted and 4 inch lift added, with EMU torsion bars and ironman shocks. Also said that the power steering has to initialize for a few seconds after starting to be able to steer correctly. Not sure about that comment, why I am contemplating looking at it myself before purchasing. Anyone have experience with the drivability of a lifted LX with 35s on 20 in wheels?
Big Mac

** Email removed.....NEVER post your email online

View attachment 2214260
That truck looks like the torsion bars have been adjusted to the point of maxing out the front ride height. There is no way that truck has enough droop. Mall crawler all the way.
I bet she rides like a covered wagon.

Last edited:
Those chrome rims expressing the Lexus badge well, doesn't look bad at all. Now when there is 22" rims with slim profile tires it takes away the whole point of these trucks.. this actually looks great IMO. Add some front and rear bumpers with a nice roof rack and this thing will look like a classy beast, will be sure to turn heads.

Good price if all checks out.

I’m local, I’ve seen that in my searches. I had assumed they cracked the AHC to high for the pics... Interesting about the lift. Maybe do some searches on the lift components? See if it’s quality or done cheap. Wheels look awful in my opinion, but it looks pretty clean otherwise. They need to send you pics of the frame / rust before you can think about flying out to look. Steering issue is a red flag for sure .

Undercarriage looks to be painted over, I'd want to have pics of that to confirm the existence of appreciable rust (or not).

Power steering has to "intialize"...what the heck does that mean? Pump or Steering Rack in your future?

That’s not a 4” lift lol. Wonder what else they lied about.

That’s not a 4” lift lol. Wonder what else they lied about.
I'm giving them a pass on that. They probably don't really know..maybe the guy trading it told them it was a 4 inch lift.

To go over 2.5 inches you *have* to replace the upper control arms. That's easy to look for, just over the tire. Factory style is stamped steel, aftermarkets are generally tubular, some SPC are cast. Most aftermarkets will have grease zerks up top as well.

Most of those photo's are HDR, in person may show other things. Either way it's a processed photo. Those tend to have high contrast but may also include some automatic blemish correction.

Power steering doesn't need time to initialize. It's not coming up to pressure in time. I'd look for leaks, could be that the pump is going out or that it's in need of bleeding. Wear in the rack could be letting fluid flow by. That said. low start pressure could just be signs of air in the system but this is usually accompanied by noise in my experience with other vehicles. In a cleaned engine bay, wiping a shop towel around the fittings can be revealing.

Get photos of the bottom of the car. Take some from the rear, and in front and back of each tire. You're looking for rust or bubbling paint over the rust. Also check around the tailgate (and door edges) for signs of bubbled paint/rust.

You can usually look up records on the lexus web site with the vin. Check for service, etc. Check that the timing belt was done, if not require that as part of the deal. Eyeball the heater T's at the back of the engine. IIRC later models don't have the transmission dip stick,
So far it looks pretty clean. Check all over for rust.

Pass for me. You can find a better deal on a car that hasn't been torn up. Awful wheels/tires, questionable lift, power steering all on a small dealer lot.

Drop the price $2k and I would start to get interested. As is, no.

I promise if you fly in to see this 100 you will be disappointed. Just too may red flags.

Steering sounds like an issue with the VGRS to me. It does need to re-initialize after disconnecting the battery but sorts itself out within a couple of minutes of driving and shouldn't need done again unless the thing is losing power by being moved around the lot. I also think it's a couple grand too high, and that's assuming the underside is flawless. I'm sure they have room built in to negotiate, but personally I wouldn't make a trip to see it.

The odd combination of appearing to be built for offroad, down to the sliders, yet being fitted with chrome wheels tells a story of some sort, and I don't like stories. I think finding a mom-mobile and doing what you need to it is always a good course of action, tho not always easy to find. Much easier with the LX than the LC however.

Curious, is that a Hornet you're in?

As the new owner of this rig, I can tell you that it rides very, very well. It is a 2.5" lift, not a 4" as stated. I had mixed feelings on the wheels in the pictures, but looks really nice in person. May keep them, may not. Lots of paperwork showing what was done to it. the dealer himself drove the vehicle for the past 8 months or so, very nice fellow to chat with. Ultimately, I bought it because it was very clean, drove very nice, and it just looked good. :)

As the new owner of this rig, I can tell you that it rides very, very well. It is a 2.5" lift, not a 4" as stated. I had mixed feelings on the wheels in the pictures, but looks really nice in person. May keep them, may not. Lots of paperwork showing what was done to it. the dealer himself drove the vehicle for the past 8 months or so, very nice fellow to chat with. Ultimately, I bought it because it was very clean, drove very nice, and it just looked good. :)

pictures please, let us see it getting some mud/offroad action.

congrats.

It may be a bit, but I plan on it. :)

I spoke at length with them about the wheel choice. They had actually built 3 of these...Black, Green and this one. They tried two other different wheel colors before settling on the chrome. I would say that sometime in the next year I will lose the wheels for some bead-lockers. It will take some time.

It may be a bit, but I plan on it. :)

I spoke at length with them about the wheel choice. They had actually built 3 of these...Black, Green and this one. They tried two other different wheel colors before settling on the chrome. I would say that sometime in the next year I will lose the wheels for some bead-lockers. It will take some time.
Is it possible they kept the OEM wheels and you could trade back? I assume they were promptly sold on Craigslist but always a chance.

[/QUOTE]
Is it possible they kept the OEM wheels and you could trade back? I assume they were promptly sold on Craigslist but always a chance.
Well, I am going to keep it this way for a while. I am not planning any major off-roading for a while and they are honestly growing on me. I suspect that I can sell they farly easily if I decide to downgrade to a smaller wheel and 33" tires. (GASP--DOWNGRADE tire SIZE!! Are you insane?!?!) LoL.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom