Help With Brakes (Master Cylinder Issue?) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a '75 FJ40 with drum brakes on the front. It has been leaking fluid out of the front reservoir the last week or so, but I've searched the lines and connections all the way down to the wheels and don't see a leak. I first noticed it when I drove it to work the other day and lost front brakes on the way there. Opened the hood and the front reservoir was empty... Filled it up and they worked again. Drove it home and parked it for two days and checked it later and it was empty again. I don't see a wet spot anywhere on the tire, but I thought I might have a bad brake cylinder. I filled it again yesterday and drove it for awhile, and this afternoon when I went to check it was completely full...??? Called the Toyota dealership today and the tech told me to unbolt the master cylinder from the booster and see if there was ANY wet spots in there b/c it should be completely dry. Here's a pic of what I found. Could that be the problem or is that normal? He said if the MC was bad it could burn the fluid through the motor through the booster and I wouldn't see a leak. I don't want to rebuild the front brakes if I don't have to b/c I eventually want to convert to discs. I just want to make sure this thing will stop when I need it to until then.

fj40mc_zps241e2467.jpg

fj40 mc.jpg

Not normal, time for a rebuild on the master or buy a new one.

Your booster is going to have brake fluid in it. You may have to replace it too or perhaps you can rinse it out if you remove it.

Thanks. I was afraid of that. Another mechanic friend told me the seals would go bad in it after it's had brake fluid in it. I was hoping to just clean it out real good and see if it holds for awhile longer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom