Help with BJ41 Dash (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Can someone tell me what the Green Light dash indicator (A) is for? It flashes irregularily while driving. Also, there seems to be another warning light just to the right of the Brake indicator (B)
bj41-dash.jpg

I would assume one of them is a water separator though they ae usually orange in color if OEM. Do either of these come on while starting?

nice radio :) what does "FD" do?

Light "B" is probably either seperator(filter) or a 4WD indicator.

Neither one comes on when I turn the key, as in a light bulb test. At first I thought (a) was coming on mainly upon deceleration, but that isn't consistent. I am starting to think it may be a vacume indicator. I'll look for a water seperator, need to know where that is anyway.

I have not seen (b) light up yet.

FD comes on when I pull it or when I shift into Low. I think FD stands for "Front Drive".

I just rebuilt the clutch and I think I lost my parking brake indicator. Maybe that is what (b) is. I'll chase the wiring.

John,

I don't know about your truck, but when I see a green lite indicator and a cable operated front axle function, I think locking differential.

4wd military trucks with lockers from Europe come either air or cable shift, and there's usually an indicator to let you know when it's engaged.

Someone will be along shortly and straighten this out, I'm sure.

As for "B", the lamp to the right of the PB indicator may be blank, as there's nothing imprinted on the lense. Stick your hand up behind the dash and cop a feel for a lamp installed or a wire lead.

Rick

Light B is parking brake, or brake failure (left side) and seat belt warning (right side) not sure about the other one?
Your water separator is usually on the frame under the running board, drivers side? but looks like you have a R/H drive model so it may be on the passenger side.

Cheers

I didn't see any coordination between the green light (a) and the FD switch. If FD is a front differential locker should there be some plumbing into the front differential?

There are vacume lines to the transfer box (I had to replace a fitting when I rebuilt the clutch). I am thinking that the FD switch just activates a vacume line to the transfer box, enagaging the front when the High/Low is in the High position. If I shift to Low, the FD lights up without switching it (pulling it out)

Searching for the water seperator. This is a RHD, japanese market vehicle from what I can tell. I don't think it has a seat belt indicator.

My parking break switch may be marginal. The brake warning light comes on with the key and goes off when the engine is running, but it comes on again at low idle. I am thinking I need to inspect my vacume connections. Low vacume seems like it could trigger the brake warning light because of the brake booster needing vacume.

My vacume pump seems to be on the backend of the 24v alternator.

Yup, could be low vacuum, low brake fluid or just bad wiring connections causing the flickering light. Follow the fuel line from the ip back towards the tank, the separator should be a cylinder mounted vertical with a fuel line in and out and a wiring connection?
If you don't have a seat belt warning light the dash indicator is probably empty?

Green light is not factory you will need to trace it to figure it out.
The other one is empty or is usually blank on 41s.
the FD is the vaccum switch for your TCase.
Your water seperator is under the passenger floor board it does have a wire to it but I am not sure what light indicates when it needs draining I have never had one that needed to be drained.
41s don't have seat belt alarms only required in North America.
By any chance have you accidently pulled out the FD button instead of the windshield wiper button while driving at night OOPs bad location for those two switches.
Nice AM radio does yours work I can't get mine to work the power plug was pulled and I can't get it to reach into the back of the radio does it only get Japenese radio stations.
LOL

Last edited:
Welcome to the 41 club were are you located

FD is front drive and kicks your front drive in on the transfer case for 4 high. You should only have a low or high selection on your transfer shifter if this is the case. The knob lights up when in operation and is vacuum actuated. Also when you shift into LOW you will see the FD light comes on automatically regardless of knob position.

If you see any correlation with the green light, then you might be seeing a low vacuum state when trying to kick into 4wd.

K

I did some investigations based on the feedback above. It looks like my green light (a) is a replacement for a low vacuum buzzer that was located behind the dash. (b) does not seem to be hooked up.

I don't have a water seperator, the fuel line goes straight from the diesel tank to the pump, then the filter and injector pump. The return line from the injectors goes back into the fuel pump.

I need to get my oil pressure gauge working as well and it looks like the wiring has been worked on. There seem to be two sensors related to oil, perhaps one for low oil level (c) and another for oil pressure (d). I am pretty sure I am getting proper operation on the low oil level sensor. If I disconnect, the oil pressure gauge goes to 'L' while the key is ON, otherwise the pressure gauge indicates 'H' until the engine is running. Once the engine is running the pressure gauge indicates 'L'.
Anyone have a procedure for testing these sensors?
bj41-oil-sensors.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom