Help with Belt Squealing...I think (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm just getting back to my old cruiser after many years away from it...school, moving, etc....

The problem: whenever I'm about to change gears upwards...1 to 2...2 to 3...etc.....the engine (Belts?) start squeeling quite loudly...very annoying. I pretty much am limited to not going over 40 miles and hour with it squealing. I vaguely remember an old mechanic from years ago saying "something" was adjusted all the way out already. Its been so long, I can't remember what it was. Any advice on how to stop this squealing?? Would simple belt dressing work...new belts...new "something" that can't be adjusted anymore...please help...I want to be able to drive her more.

Thank you.

Have you checked the belts to SEE if they are loose? If they are try adjusting them, if the are adjusted all the way then new belts might help but SMALLER belts will allow for more adjustment.

This is happening when you're pushing in the clutch, right?

Well, yes. :D

Follow Up

No, its not happening when I push the clutch in....just at high RPM if you will...right before you can hear the engine needing to shift to next highest gear....Is the consensus really just another belt? That would be nice.

A worn/slipping belt should be pretty apparent on inspection. Check for shininess, cracks etc.

When I bought my LC it squealed like hell. Turns out the PO had installed a GM alternator, which has the wrong size pulley and an improper alignment with the lower pulley. Installing an OEM alternator and a new belt solved that problem. ;)

Check the belt (condition, tension, correct size) and pulleys (alignment, correct size).

Thanks everyone

Martian, I think you may be on to something....thanks for the advice and everyone else who answered as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom