Help with ARB Locker (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have an ARB in the rear that was was installed for the P.O. No documentation came with it.

I very rarely use it, but did so recently and noticed the compressor was on most (but not all) of the time. Is this normal, or do I need to run down the line and fittings to see if'n I have a leak or such? Hope its not in the jug!

I would check all the fittings first the make sure they are sealed.

Without engaging the locker does the compressor still run? If so, then you have a leak at the compressor.

If it only runs when engaging the locker, then you have a leak in the line, or the solenoid is sticking or the bulkhead fitting on the axle or possible the seals in the locker itself.

If its the seals, then you are pulling the 3rd to fix that one. It's not a hard job, just a bit of a pain.

That sounds like a air leak. Is air coming kit the diff breather??
Mine is doing it at the moment, I think one of the seals has gone. I watched a youtube video on how to replace them the other day and it looks super easy, just a bit time consuming and awkward pulling the diff center out and back in.

You guys are great. I've got some great leads to investigate.

I assume it should shut off after engaging the locker,...

I'll be perusing that video as well!

Thanks again.

You guys are great. I've got some great leads to investigate.

I assume it should shut off after engaging the locker,...

I'll be perusing that video as well!

Thanks again.

Never had a ARB locker but would assume the diaphragm the engages the locker, lines and fittings have a PSI rating. Not sure about a ARB compressor made for the locker but would assume a regulator is needed unless that is part of the switch. In any case would be sure to verify the pressure after any repairs to help prevent any future failures.

Compressor charged up then stopped running if I did not engage locker. I believe that is correct operation.

When locker engaged, then compressor cycled often. Air was whistling out of the vent on rear differential. Diagnosis: Leak at the locker location. One question on ARB controls: Is there a valve AT the compressor that sends the air down the line or is the valve/solenoid in the rear differential?

Thanks for all your help. I'm gettin' there!

The valve is typically on the compressor tank. The air line attaches to it. The compressor will cycle periodically. But not often, if that makes sense. Iir, the arb compressor runs between 80 and 100 psi. Arb has a diagram and parts list online. ARB is very helpful too.

Last edited:
Compressor charged up then stopped running if I did not engage locker. I believe that is correct operation.

When locker engaged, then compressor cycled often. Air was whistling out of the vent on rear differential. Diagnosis: Leak at the locker location. One question on ARB controls: Is there a valve AT the compressor that sends the air down the line or is the valve/solenoid in the rear differential?

Thanks for all your help. I'm gettin' there!

My guess is that’s a a leak in the seals in the locker. They Can be replaced but you have to pull the 3rd.
it could be a hole In the copper line.
it could also be seals on the copper line going into that bulkhead fitting.

Those are pretty much the things that cause pushing air out of the diff. Is this a semi-float rear end? If so you can at least pull the back cover and find the leak. Maybe it’s just the bulkhead fitting and you don’t have to pull the 3rd.

some parts here but you can buy from any mud vendor as well.
Air Locker Parts and Accessories

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom