help with ac (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
anyone out there ever converted a 60 from 12 to 134, and how much trouble is it ?

I paid to have it done and it was very inexpensive so it cant be to difficult.

I was going to try and do it myself, because I am on a very limited budget. From what I am told you have to change types of oil in system. I'M just not sure how to do that.

You don't want to play with the A/C if you don't know what you're doing. You need special tools like the gages and a vacuum pump and releasing R12 is also punishable by large fines not to mention the possibility of getting frostbite!

My BJ60 is on 134a and when someone here in Central America who didn't know what he was doing tried to charge it it worked like crap but when someone knowledgeable did it it works just fine.

Your call but I'd pay for it, and I've restored a '55 and I'm working on a '45LV so I'm not one who shies away from difficulty!

it's quite easy actually but you do have to have special AC equipment.

make sure whoever does the job changes the receiver drier. 134A uses a different kind of oil than the old R12.

if your system has been inop. for a while, be sure to have the system checked for any leaks; the o-ring seals tend to dry out and leak.

Just replaced my compressor and went back with "Freeze 12". It's different than R12 but closer to the real thing than 134. The shop that bled the system for me claimed that, converting to 134 dramatically increases the head pressure that the system operates at. Freeze is cheap and it seems to be doing a great job.

Just replaced my compressor and went back with "Freeze 12". It's different than R12 but closer to the real thing than 134. The shop that bled the system for me claimed that, converting to 134 dramatically increases the head pressure that the system operates at. Freeze is cheap and it seems to be doing a great job.

Did you know FREEZE 12 contains 80% HFC-134a and 20% HCFC-142b? I don't think its any closer to CFC-12 than pure HFC-134a. The name is misleading.

If you have more than one A/C vehicle I think it's best to buy the gages & related vac stuff ($100 +/-) & recharge yourself. And changing to 134 is quite easy & cheap to do yourself.

What I think is really best is to keep R12 in a system designed for R12 and not switch to 134. Got to be sure you have no leaks though. At least where I live you can still find a shop that will do it for you if you are willing to pay. Not every shop will do it but some will.

And I guess you can still buy R12 yourself, if willing to invest the time/$$ to take a internet test.

I had a shop put R12 in my pick up but I switched to 134 myself in my 60. Like I said if you do switch it's pretty easy to do it youself. X 2 on changing the reciever, also easy & cheap.

HTH JOhn

If you have more than one A/C vehicle I think it's best to buy the gages & related vac stuff ($100 +/-) & recharge yourself.

HTH JOhn

Where did you find a set of gages AND a vacuum pump for $100 +/-? Let me know since I wouldn't mind a vacuum pump for under $100. Gages last time I looked were nearly $100 and a decent vacuum pump was up around $500! After all that you still don't have a leak detector or a scale to dispense the right amount of R134a (remember R134a foams even if the amount is correct unlike R12).

Remember, you need a vacuum pump not just a compressor if you want to do it right and get maximum efficiency from the A/C system. A compressor simply doesn't evacuate the system sufficiently (-26" Hg on the compressor vs -30" Hg with the vacuum pump).

No, I'm not an HVAC tech though I do know some about it.

Where did you find a set of gages AND a vacuum pump for $100 +/-? Let me know since I wouldn't mind a vacuum pump for under $100. Gages last time I looked were nearly $100 and a decent vacuum pump was up around $500! After all that you still don't have a leak detector or a scale to dispense the right amount of R134a (remember R134a foams even if the amount is correct unlike R12).

Remember, you need a vacuum pump not just a compressor if you want to do it right and get maximum efficiency from the A/C system. A compressor simply doesn't evacuate the system sufficiently (-26" Hg on the compressor vs -30" Hg with the vacuum pump).

No, I'm not an HVAC tech though I do know some about it.

Cruiser,

You know, I don't really remember where I got that stuff...I 'think' it was from Napa. And the $100 + - may be off a bit, but not much. At least as best as I can remember. And the vac. stuff hooked directly to my compressor.

I know very little about HVAC...just followed the directions that came w/the pump. The gages ...I bought at Walmart where they sell the 134 stuff. They sell the R134 as well as the change over kit. I love Walmart....but if they sell it to the DIY....well it can't be too difficult. And it wasn't really.

And you are correct...no way to test for leaks I just installed a new reciever & tightened all the connections. So far so good, coming up to the 4th season.

John

Two questions:

I was told my compressor was leaking and I would need a new one. My system has been converted to R134. I'm finding a lot of used R12 compressors. What would it take at this point to put a R12 compressor into my system now?

And second, what if I convert back to R12 starting with a R12 compressor, would this be a bad idea?

Thanks WYO

converting back to R-12 is a great idea; provided you can find, (and are willing to pay the high price,) of R-12.

just about any compressor designed for your rig can be used with either R-12 or 134A; the main difference is the type of oil you use, and the amount of refrigerant. when you convert, you generally only use about 90% of the R-12 amount.

i'd advise against using a used AC compressor; spend the money and get a good reman. Denso. be sure to change your receiver drier and it would be wise to change all of the o-rings; you don't want that pricey R-12 leaking out. it'd be a good idea to flush all of the lines out too while things are apart.

i think the main reason people convert to 134a is because of scarcity of R-12 and cost. personally, i prefer R-12...both of my old benzes are still R-12 but i have to confess that my cruiser has been converted.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom