help with 4 wheel drive (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

This might help you to underastand the electric hub system.
SA23.jpg
SA27.jpg

oldblue is da man!

champjack look at his signature! Time to go manual

A friend stopped by and we were talking cruiser stuff and he told me Rob at Radd cruisers has replacement manual hubs for the lj78 I personally have not had an once of pain with the electric hubs but if I do I will switch. I was in a local garage and witnessed a "mechanic" 8 lb hammer an axle bearing on yikes $75,00 bucks an hour. I'll do my own work unless it is a shop that knows these trucks and can access proper parts I would pass on that shop. Russell P.s. hindsight appears to 20/20

Isn't it the case that with the LJ78 you can put on manual hubs from a Toyota mini-truck of similar vintage? I'm pretty sure I read that somewhere, but I don't remember where. If so, maybe the local wrecker would have some joy for you.

Yes , you can fit aftermarket hubs, but they all need a 15mm conversion ring. This system is OK on the average truck, but can be a problem on Hard Yakka trucks.

The electric type freewheel hub is 15mm longer than the non electric type. so a ring is not required.

thanks for the pics oldblue awesome.....i took them apart just the other day i had an apointment with the garage but felt i don't want them touching my baby again. I just took the hubs of one was engaged and the other was not ....i have never seen one of these before so you can imagine my pain when the one thing came of in my hand (sorry i dont know what to call it even ) oh my god i will not be driving this for a while....then the spring came out ( oh my God God) and i am just talking about the locking hub part ....aaaaahhhhhh. I did not go deep enough to fig out the prob which i am sure is the brushes pritty sure anyway i just did not want to go that deep because i have no clue what im doing and do need my ride.....Long story short i engaged both the other day and luckly so because i got stuck in a mud hole today and needed four wheel or someone be pushen lol......i have never had a prob before and sure did like the electric....i will try and go deeper and se if i can figure it out . Thanks again for the pics they are great and lots of help at least i have some idea what the heck im dealing with .and i realy do apprieciate.
My ride seems to be heating up a little more than usual would that be because i have diff locked but not in 4 wheel on the hiway .

You can only engauge 4WD ,and the diff lock,if fitted,
if the hub lock button on the dash has been pushed in.
Like wise you can't enguage the hubs if the road speed is above 5Kph
None of these will cause overheating.

you were right crusher it was the brushes or magnets they are broke . Is there some place i can get new or am i screwed?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom