Help with 1993 FZJ80 engine (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I recently purchased my first FZJ80 with 205,000 miles and a disassembled engine and it appears to be full of “stopleak”. The head appears to have been recently milIed. I have access to a used engine with 118,000 miles and supposedly great compression.
I’m thinking of transplanting the lower mileage engine. I plan to replace all the hoses, main seals, water pump, thermostat And go with a new radiator. Would you guys replace the head gasket? Anything else prior to transplanting?

Yes, I would replace the headgasket on a replacement engine. Too easy not to do as it'll be on an engine stand. I would also drop the upper and lower oil pans and re seal those as well. I'd also have the head checked out and replace valve stem seals. Also take a hard look at the engine harness near the EGR valve. If there is any damage now would be the time to replace while the engine is out.

Yes, a complete reseal of the engine. Oil cooler inspection/cleaning. Three new engine isolators. This is also a great time to drill and tap the coolant outlet pipe for a temp sensors sending unit if you are interested in real time coolant temps. All vsv’s, temp sensors, etc can now easily be checked out with a meter per the FSM.

Some here have reported a small crack in the engine block that radiates from a freeze plug at the 6 O’clock position on the drivers side usually evidenced by a stain created by the resulting coolant leak. It’s not a common thing but something to be aware of.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom