Help - wiring fire (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello,

Been a while since I poster. My 80 series is my daily driver. Pulling into my driveway last week, I smelled smoke, opened the hood and my wiring was on fire, see pics. I smothered the fire with my jacket or the damage would have been worse. Possible causes (1) chipmunks (2) I recently was stranded in Ft Smith AR with a security system issue. The delaership removed the security system. Driving home I noticed my horn, oil pressure gauge and low bam aux lights were not workin so they may have mis-wired something. But I drove it for two weeks afterwards with no problems until the fire. The current plan is to take it into a local mechanic in Grove ok for initial diagnostics. Questions- 1. from the pics would you say I need a complete wiring harness 2. do I need a mechanic with extensive LC experience 3. Would anyone havwe a shop recommendation for NE Oklahoma and 4. Any thoughts on the cause?
Thanks

Robert

Engine.jpg

wiring 1.jpg

wiring 2.jpg

wiring 3.jpg

Yes you're going to need a new harness.

However, what is inserted directly into the negative port of the battery box is NOT a factory harness.

We need pics from a little farther away to determine what was toasted. Whatever it was left the Fusible Links intact and it was also NOT protected by it's own fuse block, so it was done improperly.

Please identify exactly what items no longer work.

This would scare the F outta me to continue to drive just because of the possibility of fire with that level of harness melting.

Some of these harnesses are NLA, depending on year and which section.

Please advise what year. It looks like 95+ and there is something funky going on over by the AC compressor as well.

Discuss any alarms, stereo systems, auxiliary light systems or other electrical add-ons.

The delaership removed the security system. Driving home I noticed my horn, oil pressure gauge and low bam aux lights were not workin so they may have mis-wired something.

That's extremely suspicious. Other than the horn, an alarm's wiring shouldn't have any effect on those.

The first thing I would do is pop the fuse box cover and see what it looks like. Any blown fuses? Any fuses that aren't the correct rating? Any signs of melting?

Then I would pick away at the melted electrical tape to get a better view of the wiring damage in those areas.

Honestly, though, it sounds like the first thing you should really do is load it on a flatbed and have it towed to the dealership that seems to have screwed up your wiring.

Oh yeah, get with local club members (find them above in the "Clubhouse" tab. Because I suck at geography, there may be a club in another state that is actually closer to you.

Heck, you're only 3 hours away from us, where I would recommend a guy up here without a doubt.

Lord glad that not worse. I'd tell the dealer I'd take a new 200 series in exchange for not filing a lawsuit. :)

Are the fusible links still there? Any additional wiring should be fused as close as the battery as possible.

cheers,
george.

Well, it’s been A few months but I finally used my AAA free towing and had the rig towed to a Toyota mechanic in Broken Arrow that I had used before. Good news, it was the wiring to my light force driving lights that caused the fire. Looks like I got it put out in time as no further damage occurred. You guys were right, it was not my wiring harness so disaster adverted. Looks like the shop that installed the lights might have screwed up. There were disable links but they didn’t blow.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom