HELP! Wiring aftermarket stereo and mini amp to 1996 Lexus LX450 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I need help with wiring my new stereo and amp together. For my stereo I've purchased a double din JVC KW-X840BTS, for my amp I have the Kenwood KAC-M1814 400W, and I have a wiring harness adapter, the METRA 70-1882. According to the Kenwood wiring diagram, the yellow power wire for the amp can be attached directly to the power wire from the stereo. My question is, can I connect both the power wire from the amp AND the power wire from the stereo to the power wire coming out of my adapter harness, and have 2 wires drawing power from one source. Is that ok or is there some kind of splitter I need to buy? The same question goes for the black ground wires.
wiring 1.jpg
Attached are two pictures showing exactly what I'm talking about. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
wiring 2.jpg

Assuming the yellow wire to the amp is only powering on the amp and not providing the main power for the amp then you should be good.

The 400w amp in theory could draw 33 amps. It will need a significantly heavier guage wire on both the +ve and -ve terminals. Your 12v supply from the OEM wiring isn't going to be up to the job. On my amp i have 6 AWG cables providing power and earth.

For an amp always go directly bask to the battery for the main power. You need to know the max amperage draw (should be in the specifications) and size you wire accordingly. Can do a chasis ground but it also needs to be sized to the max amperage draw.

In your case you should use whichever wire is indicated to provide the turn-on signal from your stereo (usually solid blue) to the turn on connection on the amp and run the main power back to the battery.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom