Help wire factory defrost switch to fog lights... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I read through all the posts on this common mod and could not find an idiots guide to wiring the switch, I even managed to blow a inline fuse trying to read some of the wiring diagrams on here. I am not good with wiring and don't want to cook anything. I had the lights (hella 500s) working with the provided switch but I wanted to use a factory switch instead. I found a defog switch from a 94 corolla that looks good but I just don't know how to get it wired up...

photo21fo.jpg

Could some one do a little drawing on this photo of where each wire should go?

photo11wq.jpg

I can tell you this.
The black wire is the switch ground
The Yellow wire goes to the relay
The light greenish wire goes straight to the positive on the battery, it is supposed to go to the high or low beam light positive wire but I wanted to be able to turn them on independent of any of the other lights.

I think I also need to tap a wire to get the switch to light up but not sure I'm even going to tackle that considering how bad I am at this stuff.

Thanks funny I found about 20 threads on this an didn't find that one, however no luck. I followed the pin out and the lights just come on constant if I flip the switch they just stay on does the switch need to be hooked up to the interior lights 12v pin #1 to have the switch function? I had #3 going to the battery #6 going to the relay and #2 to the ground with no luck... maybe I got a bad switch?
attachment.php

Hmm, based on the diagram I would check with a VMM to see if #3 and #6 connect and disconnect with the action of the switch. You could also check this with your one from the dash as a cross-check reference. You said that the one came from a Camry, so perhaps the pinouts are different (should be the same though).

:cheers:

Steve

Yeah I'll have to try that. I noticed this switch is slightly different it doesn't have the removable bulbs but is the older style where the bulbs are built in to it. This may explain though the need to give it a constant 12v supply from the dash? I'm at a loss...

check to see if your bulbs are good. i thought my switch was fried too until i found i was losing contintuity at the two bulbs, both of which were burnt out

Did the same wiring today with the same Hellas (green yellow black). I also completely avoided the backlight as the Rav4 switch I used does not come with it anyways. Only the orange part lights up when I flip it on and off.

You got the wiring set up correctly but I think the particular switch you have might be faulty. Your switch doesn't actually stay in after you push it right? You should also grab the pigtail next time to make your life a bit easier to put the wires together.

You are correct sir. The switch doesn't click in like the stock one does.... Guess its just the wrong kind of switch.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom