Help - what is plated, what is painted? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

forksinthetrail

Frequent Lurker
Threads
To make a very long tragic story short I took a variety of engine bay parts/brackets to a soda blaster in Dallas a few years back. My intention was to remove layers of old paint and crud down to either yellow cadmium plating or bare metal if that is what ended up happening. I was looking for a gentle blast to take some work off of me and maybe take some black paint the OP seemed to have put on cad plated parts. The "soda blaster" told me he understood exactly what I was trying to do and his guys were pros. They then sandblasted the parts to bare metal and took off everything, including cad plating.

My problem is that now I am gathering these parts up to be re-plated and am not exactly sure if some were cad plated and painted black by OP or simply black from the factory. I have the pre-blasting pics and it is hard to tell on a few. Here are the parts I am on the fence about based on old pictures, sorry for likely not naming them right:

1. large splash panel
2. small splash panel
3. steering box splash bracket?
4. lower fan/radiator shroud in two parts one small, one big. The main shroud is definitely cad plated.
5. Air intake clamp and bracket - duct is definitely factory black.
6. Washer fluid clamp and bracket.

IMG_5742.jpg
IMG_5743.jpg
IMG_5744.jpg
IMG_5763.jpg
IMG_5772.jpg

Why do you think those were plated. Pretty sure those were all painted black from the factory. I stripped those most those parts off an 84 HJ47RV. All were painted black. Think some of these restores plating everything confuses what is correct and what isn't.

On late models where they bolt matters. Those that bolted the frame were black, those to the body were plated. Steering box heat shield was plated as well.

Last edited:
all the first post were painted....**edit, i didnt see the stuff for the intake....the L shaped bracket and hose clamp looking thing were cad plated.
the radiator overflow bottle bracket in the second post was cad plated.

Why do you think those were plated. Pretty sure those were all painted black from the factory. I stripped those most those parts off an 84 HJ47RV. All were painted black. Think some of these restores plating everything confuses what is correct and what isn't.

On late models where they bolt matters. Those that bolted the frame were black, those to the body were plated. Steering box heat shield was plated as well.
I don't have a strong opinion either way other than the pictures look like they might be black paint over cad. I recall some of the paint not looking factory and it seemed like cad was peeking out from under. Keep in mind these are only the parts I am having doubts about I have, about 24 other parts that I am sure about one way or other. My point is to plate the right things...

So you are saying all black except steering box heat shield?

all the first post were painted....**edit, i didnt see the stuff for the intake....the L shaped bracket and hose clamp looking thing were cad plated.
the radiator overflow bottle bracket in the second post was cad plated.
Hmmm. So you are here:
1. large splash panel PAINTED
2. small splash panel PAINTED
3. steering box heat shield PAINTED
4. lower fan/radiator shroud in two parts one small, one big PAINTED. The main shroud is definitely cad plated.
5. Air intake clamp and bracket PLATED - duct is definitely factory black
6. Washer fluid clamp and bracket. PLATED

I knew there would be slightly different opinions on this, I have been looking at other's pictures and it seems to vary somewhat. It seems odd to me that upper shroud is plated for sure and lower shroud (which is the same type of thin metal) is painted. It seems like a heat shield would be plated too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom