Help Voltage Gauge Pinging @ Highway Speed (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey Mud - the Voltage gauge on my dash of my 1989 FJ62 has recently started pinging to the top when cruising at highway speeds. When it happens, my stereo cuts off briefly then comes back on, but no stations or memory loss. Truck cranks and drives fine at lower speeds (and no radio issues at low speeds), and voltage stays at 13.5 at lower speeds. Gonna check the battery and alternator but any other ideas?? Thanks!!

Connect a proper hand held volt meter to the battery terminals directly with extension wires and lead them back to the cab so you can see it while driving.

The next time the dash voltage gauge jumps to the top - see what the voltage really is on your hand held voltmeter.
If it spikes too, (above 14.5V) the voltage regulator in the alternator is going bad.

Yup, as @OSS says! Alternator dying. Mine did the same thing. Time for a replacement/rebuild.

There are dozens of cig lighter voltmeters on ebay/amzn

1619373870018.png

Connect a proper hand held volt meter to the battery terminals directly with extension wires and lead them back to the cab so you can see it while driving.

The next time the dash voltage gauge jumps to the top - see what the voltage really is on your hand held voltmeter.
If it spikes too, (above 14.5V) the voltage regulator in the alternator is going bad.
Thank you! Got a new reman alternator in hand and ready to install! Keep y’all posted!

May also be a faulty ground on the new radio install. It works great but I hear winding noise in the speakers now. Thoughts?

I'm not a radio install guy but often the power source for the radio needs to be filtered by a capacitor or something. Search google for car radio noise filter. I'm sure there's lots of links.

I'm not a radio install guy but often the power source for the radio needs to be filtered by a capacitor or something. Search google for car radio noise filter. I'm sure there's lots of links.
I’ll check that out!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom