Help us solve a mystery. New to us FZJ80 (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

No this diagnostic connector is for ABS and airbags according to the manual
As far as I know: coming from Europe before 2001, it's probably an OBD1 truck. Therefore you read the codes with de paperclip-method via the diagnostics port, as stated in the link posted by Retrofive. (with OBD1 trucks you read all the codes with this method, on the OBD2 trucks used to reset the ABS/airbags/etc)

Try opening up the rear hatch, remove the inner plastic trim and compare the numbers inside.
The numbers should be etched and help offer a clue.

Other than yours being LHD, it looks the same setup as my UK 1996 1FZ-FE 80. We didn't get the OBD2 port, I'm guessing LHD European models would have been the same, I have to use the old paper clip method for checking codes.

Check the spark plug wire to see if they are original ones that have the date.

On the wire there is only a 4 digits number, doesn't seems like a date.

But for the love of all that is holy, secure that wire running by your fan before it falls in and something gets ripped out!! And that orange extension cord by the firewall doesn't make me happy, either! Giving me the heebie-jeebies.

Thanks for your concern, the wire is just there when the vehicle is parked for a long period of time.
It's the wire from the battery charger to the battery.
When the vehicle is being prepared for a trip, the charger and the wire are removed from the engine bay.

this looks like the fuse panel is missing OBD2 plug where the 2 empty screws are at the top

Did you confirm the OBD2 plug is not tucked behind the fuseblock or tucked up behind the dash?

Help us solve a mystery. New to us FZJ80

The papers and VIn say it is 1993

But it is not!

It looks like 95-97 but I can't find OBD2 connector

It is important to find which year it is so we can order the correct parts for base lining

It has after market additional heat system

View attachment 2476817

Night time now at Israel, will check first thing tomorrow.

Last edited:
Dismantled the lower dashboard, no OBD2 plug insight.
Also, couldn't find any crankshaft position sensor under the engine.
It could be "OBD2 compatible" but I'm guessing this is a European car where the plug was not an option.

Purely out of curiosity, is the interior fuse panel molded with “FUSE/OBD” as below?

A058BB0A-F910-4967-B6FC-96DC445606FD.jpeg

no...

Your MAF sensor is for '95-'97 models. I'd treat it as such.

I'm interested in this not just for the mystery, but... Does this mean there is a "factory" way to run a later model MAF in a vehicle with no crank position sensor ? Even if there is, I would imagine the needed parts are hard to find / NLA / expensive / not legal in the US, but as someone with a 93 and a VAF, I'm curious.

Jason

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom