Help us solve a mystery. New to us FZJ80 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Help us solve a mystery. New to us FZJ80

The papers and VIn say it is 1993

But it is not!

It looks like 95-97 but I can't find OBD2 connector

It is important to find which year it is so we can order the correct parts for base lining

It has after market additional heat system

1bb5885c-3aec-4740-83ff-82e6c7d38b6d.jpg
1dddc0e6-28c9-4b7b-99c1-7e57bf81b097.jpg
41f79c6e-04ab-4431-92e3-3afc515d76ab.jpg
52d6b272-af9d-4637-a07c-25e0d3233feb.jpg
774c0c3a-372d-4de7-b76f-7174d19dd230.jpg

Definitely not a 93 engine. Did someone do an engine transplant with a 95-97 engine?

Not a choke...that's a hand throttle. This truck is definitely an oddity. Everything says 95 or later except for the documentation. I see you're in Israel - that's gonna throw us US biased folks a curve ball as we got altogether different stuff than the rest of the world at times. Maybe @cruiseroutfit or @cruiserdan will chime in to help you out.

I'll be interested in seeing where this ends up.

Have you taken off the lower knee cover (kind of hard to do with the hand throttle) and looked for the OBDII plug? Many people unscrew the two screws and put a bluetooth receiver on it and have it hidden back behind the fuse panel.

That plug in the 2nd to last pic which says diagnosis is probably the OBD connector. Why it's there who knows.

Plug labeled "diagnosis" on firewall should be an OBD plug. The one under the dash is missing, or at least not in it's usual North American location.

I thought outside the USA they did not bother with OBDII regardless of year? Or is that just specific markets?

This rig came from a cold country in Europ the papers are not important, The VIN is not correct

It has a new style MAF (not VAF) sensor and new style dashboard it us triple locked and it has OBD1 connector on the firewall like my OBD1 US spec 94

Dose 95-97 OBD2 USA cars have OBD1 connector on the firewall??

Dose USA 95 OBD2 rigs have OBD1 connector on the firewall?

It is not logical that someone planted a new dashboard and engine on OBD1 car and can use the ECU with MAF sensor

Have you taken off the lower knee cover (kind of hard to do with the hand throttle) and looked for the OBDII plug? Many people unscrew the two screws and put a bluetooth receiver on it and have it hidden back behind the fuse panel.

Yeah, that gaping hole above the fuse panel in the dash is where it would live. It's not there. I would take the panel off and go upside down under the dash and start digging around for an OBDii connector. The diagnostic connector under the hood, at least in the pre-OBDii cars, is where you can insert a jumper and watch a light on the dash blink out a code, which you then interpret. The number of codes was limited. Being a 1FZ-FE makes me think that the computer data is there, you just have to find it.

This rig came from a cold country in Europ the papers are not important, The VIN is not correct

It has a new style MAF (not VAF) sensor and new style dashboard it us triple locked and it has OBD1 connector on the firewall like my OBD1 US spec 94

It is not logical that someone planted a new dashboard and engine on OBD1 car and can use the ECU with MAF sensor

My 95 and 97 OBD2 cruisers with the 1FZ-FE American Market 80 series both have that DIAGNOSTIC connector on the firewall.

What is the build date on the VIN plate?

My 96 has a build date of 8/95, so mine is an "early" 96.

I agree, OBD1 is on the 95-97 cars, everything I can see in the pics screams 95-97 rig, so I would really be surprised if the wiring loom is not behind that kick panal.

The steering column should have airbag wires (yellow with yellow connectors) which were not there on the early years ( at least in the US), my point is that that wiring harness for 95-97 is very different, so that OBDII port should be there... unless it was not put on foreign cars.....

If anyone bothers to read the FSM, OBD2 80 Series have the diagnostic connector on the firewall. It is used to disable the ECU auto ignition timing and to troubleshoot the ABS system. It is referred to as Data Link Connector 1 (DLC1) as opposed to the OBD2 port in the cab which is DLC3.

Verify the VIN from the body panels or other location. It’s a 95+ unless the market it originated in received the 95+ updates ahead of the US.

That plug in the 2nd to last pic which says diagnosis is probably the OBD connector. Why it's there who knows.

100% not the OBDII port. The diagnostic port on the firewall is used to set timing, reset airbag lights, etc. Not to function as the OBDII port. Want to clear that up so someone doesn't go try and stick a obd2 reader on that and fry something.

I'd check behind the kick panel. I bet it got pushed back for an OBD2 dongle like mentioned above.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom