Help truck just died on freeway (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Parts are old...your rig is old. Does not matter how many miles it has. Rubber and plastic became brittle and dry- we have 20+ yr old rigs and if parts had not been replaced that you know of, change them as a PM. For me I have a piece of mind that the list of items that I replaced is one less thing to worry about when you are driving even though new parts are not always 100%. Also look into replacing your PHH if you have not done so and also Replace that heater valve at the firewall before it blows......

This is true. However, according to Jon this igniter is no longer produced. My own research also yields that there are only used parts on ebay for this igniter as well, so I wouldn't be able to replace it with a "new" part. Just a questionable other used part. Maybe something to keep in the spares box?

On the other hand, I have a 92 so I don't have to worry about the PHH :)

Parts are old...your rig is old. Does not matter how many miles it has. Rubber and plastic became brittle and dry- we have 20+ yr old rigs and if parts had not been replaced that you know of, change them as a PM. For me I have a piece of mind that the list of items that I replaced is one less thing to worry about when you are driving even though new parts are not always 100%. Also look into replacing your PHH if you have not done so and also Replace that heater valve at the firewall before it blows......

he has 1991 FJ80 so no PHH but good idea to replace as much of the original 29 year old rubber as possible.

Can the igniter work intermittently?
Yes, although it is usually temperature related. Typically they go intermittent before failure, but other times they just fail outright.

I'm sure. The handed me the box (https://www.autozone.com/ignition-t...tem-oem-standard-ignition-coil-c909/65957_0_0) with the OEM part inside.
I will bench test it later this week.

Since I just did this, I can share a bit of @jonheld's wisdom regarding the multimeter:

I came across here looking for a cross for my 88 EFI coil. The parts I have are:
coil: 90919-02113/ 029700-4920
Igniter:1970-61080/J01311-5360 and it has "Coil W/Igniter" on that same tag.
The igniter part number is rubbed off. Just throwing parts info from my rig.

I came across here looking for a cross for my 88 EFI coil. The parts I have are:
coil: 90919-02113/ 029700-4920
Igniter:1970-61080/J01311-5360 and it has "Coil W/Igniter" on that same tag.
The igniter part number is rubbed off. Just throwing parts info from my rig.
Please note post #31.
The FJ62 and FJ80 variant of the 3FE used a different coil/igniter and had different spark plug gaps. I never verified if the electrical wiring was the same between the two. AFAIK, the two are not interchangeable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom