Help!! transmission issues again (-30 celcius) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Well it's me again.BJ 60 1984 170000km turbo'd 31" mud terrains 8000lbs winch lock rite locker.I was stranded in Blue River only about 3 months ago with some trannny issues.Quick lube service no oil.Was the verdict.
Different problems however.
Since i replaced the transmission it has ran fine.Second gear the clutch needed to be on practically on the floor to get a clean shift but other than that it has been fine.But now that the tempurature has dropped down to -30 celcius first and second don't exist.It happened to me one morning but nothing since then.But now that i have returned to work and my girl is using it back and forth to work.
She been letting it run for at least a half hour before leaving but she ran into this issue.
I have figured that it is simply the thick cold oil in the transmission that is giving me the problems.
I aslo kind of remember something last winter about putting the transfer case into neutral and this would allow the oil to circulate.I hope that this is the case because it's getting harder and harder to love this cruiser of mine.

Well once again if anyone has any tips or suggestions.
Merry X-mas and a happy new year.
Thanks

yeah, it's probably the thick viscosity of the oil, plus the new tranny. It'll get easier to shift as time goes. I put synthetic in my new h-55 after a few thousand miles and it got WAY easier to shift from there as well... don't worry too much, it'll get better over time.

Same thing here also. I just installed an H55F a week ago and had synthetic put in and the first couple miles it's a little hard to get into second and third. After a few miles it goes away. I'm going to have my slave cylinder checked out to see if this helps.

Sounds like the clutch is not completely disengaging or possibly the pilot bearing is dragging.

SInce it came on with the cool weather I would suspect the slave or more likely the master cylinder. Are you losing any fluid?

Mark...

Well no fluid on the ground and i was just underneath the other day putting a winter front/belly tarp.
I have had some experience with 75 series having extremely stiff transmission and diffs when the tempurature drop below -45 celcius.
I have had this transmission for about 1600kms now.I always run synthetic fluid in her.
Not really concerned about the shifting into second problem i have adjusted to that.
Maybe i wasn't clear before,the shifter would go into gear but it wouldn't do anything.I would move but just barely,i would try to shift to second but it wouldn't really work any better.The roads up here get are black ice all winter and i just thought i was spinning the first time it happened.
I don't recall if i was looking at the tach or not.Starting to wonder if i have a throttle problem?
I will getting home on the 28th of this month and will be able to diagnose this problem a little further than but for now i will have to rely on second hand information from my gal whom has no mechanical knowledge what so ever.
Well gents Thanks
Merry Xmas

Try warming it up in first gear with the transfer case in neutral. Should heat up the fluids a bit.

When the tranny is in neutral and the engine is idling, the counter shaft in the tranny is spinning and churning up the oil. Putting the tcase in neutral and letting it run will warm up the tcase juice but won't change the warming of the tranny.

The idea that if the gears in the tranny are spinning, by having it in gear, then the oil will warm up because it's being circulated around the gears. Why wouldn't that work?

The gears in the tranny are always spinning whether you're in neutral or "in gear." What the shifter changes is how the power is connected to the output shaft.

Power is transmitted from the engine to the transmission and then to the transfer case. If no more heat is created in the transmission by being put through the gears than if it were merely idling, then what causes any change in shifting behaviour at all during it's use?

Is it just convection coming from the engine?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom